Multiple Varsity Villas units burglarized

Police arrest suspect after weekend break-ins

The Bloomington Police Department arrested a Bloomington resident after learning he had burglarized several units in an area apartment complex. \nJustin Franklin, 23, was arrested after allegedly stealing items from three apartments in the Varsity Villas , located at 2015 N. Dunn St. \nOfficers received a call regarding a burglary in the 400 block of Varsity Lane Saturday night. Officer Amy Romoser was told that two residents and a friend were asleep in the apartment when a man entered the apartment and asked the friend, who was sleeping on the couch, if everyone else was asleep. He left through the front door quickly afterwards. \nThe witness said the man was about 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, wearing a baseball cap and an Indianapolis Colts jersey. \nWhen the residents of the apartment woke up, they noticed their computers, cell phones, DVDs, sunglasses, video games and wallets were missing and contacted BPD. While Romoser was investigating the matter, she heard a light tapping on the sliding glass door. \nWhen Romoser opened the blinds, she saw Franklin in his boxer shorts. According to the police report, Romoser said Franklin was “shocked” to see a police officer in the apartment. \nFranklin told Romoser that three white males broke into his apartment and stole his guitar and amplifier, worth $7,000. When Romoser asked him more questions, he became nervous, she said. He told her he had walked his dog and came back to see the three men taking his guitar. \nHe told Romoser that one of the people that burglarized his apartment had been wearing an Indianapolis Colts jersey. He then told Romoser that he was wearing an Indianapolis Colts jersey that night. \nRomoser noticed Franklin met the description of the suspect. She asked him if she could investigate his apartment, but he would not let her in because he did not want to bother his roommate, police said. \nRomoser contacted Officer John Coleman, who took over the investigation. Coleman contacted the prosecutor’s office and received a search warrant to search Franklin’s residence. \nWhen Coleman searched the residence, he found the stolen items reported from the Varsity Villas. After placing Franklin under arrest, Det. Kevin Hill interviewed him. Franklin said he has an alcohol problem and “thinks he steals things when he’s drunk.” \nFranklin’s arrest cleared up several burglaries that took place throughout the Varsity Villas over the weekend.