Interfraternity Council ensures safety at parties

In the aftermath of the suspension of five fraternities at Purdue, IU administrators and the Interfraternity Council is taking steps to ensure that fraternity parties at IU remain safe. \n“When we took over we set the bar a little higher, and we haven’t had any problems so far,” said IFC President Mike Piermont. “There can always be an isolated incident, but as far as the whole community is concerned, I don’t see there being any problems here.” \nAccording to a press release, Purdue suspended five fraternities in the past two weeks for violating the school’s alcohol policy, as well as IFC policies. Even though IU has not suspended any fraternities recently, chapters have been suspended or even expelled from campus in the past, said IU Dean of Students Dick McKaig. \n“Fraternities might tell you we’re a little aggressive, but I’d certainly like to think that we’re doing a good job,” McKaig said. \nPiermont said one thing fraternities can do to avoid problems is to have their own members monitoring functions. Since beginning his term as IFC president, Piermont said there haven’t been the sort of problems at IU that would result in suspension. \n“I thought it was kind of interesting that (Purdue’s) IFC stepped up and suspended five chapters,” he said. “We could do that, we’re allowed to do that, it’s in the bylaws if we wanted to. I don’t know the specifics but it would take a lot to get suspended by me.” \nThe IFC requires that every fraternity register its functions in advance so that IFC executives can inspect and monitor the parties to make sure no rules are being broken and safety regulations are being followed. \n“A few IFC executives go around to the parties and go through a point by point checklist,” Piermont said. “We try to prevent problems before they start.” \nSeveral of the sanctioned Purdue fraternities were busted for not registering their events in advance. Piermont said IU’s IFC can fine fraternities up to $1,000 if they fail to register their events. \n“For the most part, when fraternities aren’t registered it’s because they forgot or there was a miscommunication,” Piermont said. “As long as they have full security and the house is safe we usually won’t fine them.”