Culture centers host call-out for interested students

To welcome all students, new and returning, the Asian Culture Center will host its annual welcome reception complete with food, information and fun starting at 5 p.m. Friday, said Babita Upadhyay, program and administrative assistant at the ACC.\nThe reception will showcase all of the student organizations under the ACC, including the Filipino Student Association, the Asian American Association, the Indian Students Association and several multicultural fraternities and sororities. \nStudents will have the opportunity to meet with the presidents of the student organizations and ask questions, Upadhyay said. \nLa Casa and the GLBT Student Support Services will also be present at the ACC’s welcome reception. Both will speak briefly about the resources available to students. \nAnd, of course, there will be food representing a majority of the countries under the ACC, including dishes from Korea, China and India, Upadhyay said. \nGuest speakers of the reception are Matthew Ewing, assistant director of the IU Student Foundation and Little 500 race coordinator, and Bill Shipton, associate director of Residence Life for Diversity Education, said Upadhyay. \nShipton will speak with students about the campus incident teams, which are established by the Dean of Students to receive reports and information about incidents of racism, GLBT harassment, gender discrimination and religious bias occurrences. These teams are part of the Commission on Multicultural Understanding, which Shipton will also be speaking about, he said. \n“New students should especially come to the reception,” Upadhyay said. “Many students who come to IU want an organization that is related to their own culture, and this is the best opportunity to meet the groups and their presidents.”\nThe ACC is located at 807 E. 10th Street near Collins LLC.