Thousands line streets for July 4 parade

A theme throughout Bloomington’s Fourth of July parade Wednesday morning was not only America’s freedom, but the call to support the \nnation’s troops.\nTalisha Coppock, executive director of Downtown Bloomington Inc., said she feels it’s important to support and honor the U.S. troops. \n“One of the reasons we have Independence Day is to recognize our current troops and veterans,” Coppock said. “Our hearts are with them.” \nAfter the Bloomington Community Band played the Star-Spangled Banner, the floats \nbegan flooding Fifth Street for the parade. The Bloomington Fire and Police departments led the way and were followed by the Bloomington Hospital Ambulance Service and paramedics. \nCoppock said the parade was sponsored by the American Legion Burton Woolery Post 18, 1800 West Third St., and hired approximately 50 volunteers for the event. She said nearly 10,000 residents were expected to line the streets for the parade.\n“We want to continue the tradition of (the) Fourth of July,” Coppock said. “We’re happy to see so many people out.” \nThe parade’s route ran down College Avenue and up Walnut Street, between 11th and Fifth Streets and lasted approximately an hour. Organizations such as Veterans of Foreign Wars, AMVETS, Red Hats and Purple Chaps, Clear Creek Cub Scout Group and the City of Bloomington participated in this year’s parade.\nMayor Mark Kruzan, Bloomington City Councilman David Sabbagh, Grand Marshalls Mike Pate and Buddy Newlin, and the Monroe County Fair Queen and IDS reporter Kate Middleton had their own floats in the parade. Each float had something different to offer the crowd; some floats distributed candy, while others gave out American flags.\nAfter the parade was over, judges announced the winners for the floats. The best overall float during the parade was Red Hats and Purple Chaps, a group of women riding horses.\nBill and Diane Hall said they are both in the U.S. Air Force. Diane Hall said they usually see fireworks in Fairfax, Va., but they were back in Bloomington for the holiday.\nThe Halls attended with their three children Ryan, Lucy and Wilson. Ryan was holding a red, white and blue baseball cap filled with candy that was thrown to the crowd from the floats.\n“It was great, we haven’t been to this parade in forever,” Diane Hall said. “It was fun.” \nBloomington resident Tricia Souhrada and her friend’s daughter Elizabeth Tilghman both said the event was brilliant. Tilghman said this was her first parade, and she enjoyed when the crowd received candy. \nThe Fourth of July celebration ended with The Stardusters Jazz Band playing from 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. \nCoppock said planning for the event costs approximately $6,000. She explained that the veterans are a large part of the celebration and without them the event would be nearly impossible. \n“The veterans are a huge help with putting on the parade,” Coppock said. “It’s a lot of work that they put into everything.”