'Ordinary People' full of surprises

You know those songs you play on repeat or those movies you watch over and over? If you have any of those, “Ordinary People” will be the book you read cover to cover multiple times.\n“Ordinary People” is a novel about the Jarrets, the “perfect” family. Parents Beth and Calvin Jarret appear to be a happy couple with two sons, Buck and Conrad. After Buck dies and Conrad attempts to commit suicide, the Jarrets go through the pain and process of healing their family.\nWritten in a third-person limited omniscient narrative, the narrator, Guest, throws you into the life of the Jarrets a year after Buck dies. Conrad, who is still coping with the loss of his brother, has just been released from a psychiatric hospital for slashing his wrists in the bathroom. He attempts to go on with his life by getting back into his normal routine but still has difficulty with everyday life.\nCalvin suggests Conrad go see Dr. Tyrone Berger, a local psychiatrist. Conrad, who initially resists, finally goes, and learns to trust Dr. Berger, who helps him come to terms with Buck’s death. Calvin eventually visits Dr. Berger after feeling like he’s reached his midlife crisis.\nThroughout the book, Beth is virtually lifeless as she tries to deal with her son’s death. Her inability to love Conrad causes her to be distant and creates friction between her and Calvin. \nThe book flows naturally as it takes the reader through the trials and tribulations of life. Guest makes it possible not only to know the characters but to feel their heartbreak. She reminds us that things don’t always end with a smile, and sometimes, we have to make the best with what we have.\nIf you haven’t read a great book in a long time, “Ordinary People” will restore your faith in literature.