High schoolers practice passion for journalism

Chris Pickrell

The IU High School Journalism Institute officially began its 61st year this month, allowing high-school students to attend workshops to brainstorm and interact with others who share the same passion for journalism. \nSponsored by the IU School of Journalism, the workshop’s sections include newspaper, yearbook, desktop design, online and photography, allowing students to attend camp for one week between July 9 and July 27.\n“The kids give their hearts and souls to what they do, and this is an opportunity for them to be with kids who do the same,” said Kim Green, who will be instructing a newspaper editors workshop this summer. \nThis year sees one of the largest groups on record, bringing in more than 240 students, Green said. Students from all over the country and even outside the United States have attended HSJI in the past. \nWhile students come to the institute for the journalism workshops, the institute’s faculty and staff are also a draw for budding journalists. Ryan Gunterman, workshop instructor and Bloomington High School North teacher, said journalism professor Jack Dvorak’s reputation as an expert in the field of journalism makes his camp attractive.\n“Parents send their kids to this workshop just to be in camp because (Dvorak) is an expert,” Gunterman said.\nHigh school junior Ashley D’Arcy of Princeton High School in Cincinnati, Ohio, is the entertainment editor for her high school paper. \nD’Arcy made a list of nearly 40 story ideas as an assignment during the program, one of the varied activities students undertake while at the camp. Ideas included a possible article about the evolution of dance, beginning with the bunny hop to present-day “grinding.”\nThe main focus of the newspaper portion of the workshop is preparing editors from various high schools throughout the country with ideas for their staffs in the fall. \nAnother focus that’s highlighted at the workshop is desktop design. Sixteen students involved in this area work with Greg Mosley, who has taught design for 16 years and has been involved with HSJI for 11 years. \n“I want to teach students to have a critical eye about media,” Mosley said. \nThe field of journalism spans far beyond the printed text on a page. With photos and graphics placed properly, the layout becomes a focal point for the viewer, Mosley said. Today, people need to learn how to design for a society of nonreaders, and the workshop aims to improve the quality of the information age and the quality of scholastic journalism in Indiana, Mosley said. \nD’arcy said she enjoys the freedom student journalists get at HSJI.\n“I love it because you’re free to do what you want and work independently,” D’Arcy said.