County Fair captivates local community

Karly Tearney

Forget about the usual peanuts and Cracker Jacks. It’s time for the fair. \nBloomington residents can finally enjoy elephant ears, local farm-raised animals and trucks covered in mud all in one place at the week long Monroe County Fair.\nThe festivities began July 21 with the always popular queen contest, where 33 young ladies competed for the title of 2007 Miss Monroe County. Alyssa Lampkins, 16, won the title and will preside over various events at the fair. \nThe demolition derby is another popular event of the fair, said David Smith, fair board secretary and chairman of the entertainment committee. The derby will be in the mud-filled Grandstand area Friday and Saturday evenings at the Monroe County Fairgrounds.\n“You go out there, and you pretty much just crash the daylights out of each other,” Smith said. “The winner is the one that is still running at the end.” \nSmith said the talent and baby contests will be held Saturday in the auditorium. The baby contest features children of all ages from around the county.\n“It is a three-ring circus,” Smith said. “I mean we have babies out the wazoo. Let me tell ya, they just flock in here. That is the big event.” \nThe fair has been held at the Monroe County Fairgrounds since 1955 but was originally located at Dunn Meadow on the IU campus, Smith said.\n“People took their animals, and they showed their animals right down there on campus,” Smith said. “They had cows, pigs, everything was right there.” \nBloomington resident Kathy Hainey attended Tuesday’s festivities with her grandson. Hainey said she has attended the fair for nearly 40 years, and the tradition the fair brings to the community motivates her to attend year after year. The poultry barn is currently her favorite attraction, she said.\n“I just like to look at the different types of chickens, hens and roosters,” Hainey said.\nRobin Johnson, 13, said she has been attending the fair ever since she could walk and has also been in the 4-H club for nearly six years. \n“I want to show everyone that I can (succeed in the fair),” she said.\nFor Johnson, watching her animals win is the most rewarding aspect of the fair. This year her goat “Waylon” won grand champion, she said.\nThe fair will continue through the week, ending Saturday.