Associate dean for School of Optometry named next vice president of diversity, equity and multicultural affairs

Edwin C. Marshall replaces Charlie Nelms, looks forward to challenges ahead of him

IU announced Wednesday that Edwin C. Marshall, professor and associate dean for academic affairs and student administration at the IU School of Optometry, has been named the next vice president of diversity, equity and multicultural affairs, according to an IU press release. Marshall replaces Charlie Nelms, who is leaving Aug. 1 to assume the position of chancellor at North Carolina Central University. \nIU President Michael McRobbie hailed Marshall as an excellent choice for the position.\n“Ed Marshall is an extremely accomplished member of the faculty and a person who has established a truly national and international reputation for academic excellence in his profession,” McRobbie said. “He also has a deep commitment to diversity and equity in higher education. He will have important responsibilities in his new role as vice president, and I am very pleased that he has agreed to take on this key assignment.”\nMarshall will be the point-person in issues dealing with “diversity, equity and multicultural affairs on all IU campuses and (with) more specific responsibilities at IU-Bloomington,” according to the release. \nMcRobbie also noted in the release that Marshall’s work as an adjunct professor of public health in the IU School of Medicine will make him a valuable partner in many future life science initiatives the University pursues.\nMarshall said in the release that he recognizes the large void left in the administration by Charlie Nelms. He said he is honored to accept his new position, and hopes to continue the work Nelms began prior to leaving for North Carolina Central University.\n“Replacing Charlie Nelms is an impossibility because he has done so much for Indiana University,” Marshall said in the release. “I recognize that his loss creates a tremendous challenge for us. However, I welcome the opportunity to build upon Charlie’s accomplishments and to use the course that he has set as a guide for enhancing the visibility of diversity within and throughout the university.”