AROUND THE GAME

Gall nominated for NCAA Woman of the Year award\nSenior Jessica Gall from the IU women’s track and field team was nominated for the NCAA Woman of the Year award. The 128 nominees were announced July 2 by the NCAA from all three divisions. The award takes into account academics, athletics and community service.\nThe field for NCAA Woman of the Year will be narrowed to 30 contestants in August and to nine in September, with an equal number of athletes coming out of each division. The winner will be announced at an awards dinner Oct. 2 in Indianapolis.\nGall finished her IU career with a ninth place finish in the 10,000-meter event at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships that took place June 6-9. She also finished 19th at the USA Track & Field Championships later in the month. In her four years as a member of both the track and field and cross country teams, Gall earned a total of five All-Big Ten and four All-American awards.

Sarkodie helps U-20 team to round of 16\nSophomore defender Ofori Sarkodie started for the U.S. men’s soccer U-20 national team in its 2-1 victory over Brazil in the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Ottawa on Friday. The win gave the Americans a 2-0-1 record in group play as it won Group D, which featured Brazil, Poland and South Korea.\nIn Sarkodie’s freshman year for the Hoosiers, he started 13 games and was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman team. He helped IU earn eight shutouts on the season.\nSarkodie and the U.S. national team will play again Wednesday in Toronto, where they will play Uruguay, North Korea or Costa Rica.

Lawrence to play for English National Team\nSophomore defender Kelly Lawrence has been named to the English Women’s National Team for the U-19 European Championships in Iceland later this month. The English will compete in Group B of the eight team tournament beginning July 18 and will face Poland, France, and Spain in group play.\nLawrence, a native of Chigwell, England, came to IU last year to play for coach Mick Lyon, who is also a native of England. In her freshman year, Lawrence started in 19 of the Hoosiers’ 20 games. She was part of a defense which only allowed 15 goals on the season, the fewest allowed in program history. She also had an assist in the Hoosiers 1-1 tie against UNC-Charlotte on Sept 15, 2006.