5 favorite Simpsons seasons

Here are five dvds most worth your d'oh.

Remember the good ol' days? when "the simpsons" aired two or three times a day? those times have long since passed, but that doesn't mean you can't still relive your childhood. Here are five dvds most worth your d'oh. \n Season 4: Best Episode Marge V. The Monorail \nAny episode that features the entire cast breaking into choreographed song automatically trumps the rest (think "Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart?" from season five and "Spring in Springfield" from season eight). "Monorail" even begins in song with a little Flintstones parody, so we know it's good.\nAfter Mr. Burns pays the city $3 million for illegal toxic waste dumping, the town comes together to determine where to spend the money. Marge's campaign to fix the roads is interrupted by the fast-talking, Music Man-esque Lyle Lanley, voiced by the late Phil Hartman. Lanley easily convinces the town with a catchy tune, and the entire town is struck by Monorail fever -- including Homer, the conductor-to-be. \n Marge discovers that the monorail is a corrupt get-rich-fast plan and must act fast to save its passengers. One of the more memorable episodes from the early years (certainly one of my top five), "Monorail" is filled with funny one-liners and memorable moments. (Duh, it was written by Conan O'Brien.) \n Other notable episodes include "Mr. Plow," in which Homer buys a plow and temporarily rules Springfield, and "I Love Lisa," in which Lisa breaks Ralph Wiggum's heart on Krusty's anniversary special. DVD extras include commentary on every episode, deleted scenes and animation clips.\n Season 5: Best Episode Homer's Barbershop Quartet\nI picked this season in the same way Homer got picked to go into outer space in this season's masterpiece "Deep Space Homer." Two words: De. Fault. I let everyone else pick their favorite season and said I'd make a case for the leftovers. \nIt's a big season plot wise, as Marge shows her darker side, and Homer shows his Forrest Gump-like ability to be in the right place at the right time as he ends up in college, outer space and in love with Michelle Pfiffer. Marge grows a lot this season, as she goes on the lam and gets a new job -- a slot jockey. And Homer will never let her forget it, because "youuuu have a gambling problem." \nThe season starts beautifully with my favorite episode of the season, the heavily Beatles-influenced "Homer's Barbershop Quartet." The all-star band of Apu, Homer, Skinner and Barney beats Dexy's Midnight Runners for a Grammy, plays their last show on the roof top, a la the Beatles, and Homer has one simple question for George Harrison: "Where did you get that brownie?"-Zack Teibloom\nSeason 6:\nSeason six of "The Simpsons" was a ridiculously good year for the show. Of the 25 season episodes, I counted 13 to be shows I considered classics. Thirteen! And those were just my personal favorites. Maybe the entire season should be considered classic. Anyway, my list of notables includes: "Bart of Darkness," a spoof on the Hitchcock film "Rear Window," where the Simpsons get a pool and Bart breaks his leg. "Treehouse of Horror V", a classic "Treehouse of Horror" featuring a Shining spoof, Homer time-traveling, and the school cafeteria cooking students; \n"Homer: Bad Man" where Homer is accused of sexual harassment; "Bart's Comet" where Bart has a comet named after him that is heading toward Springfield; \n"Homer vs. Patty & Selma" where Homer has to turn to Patty & Selma for money; \n"A Star Is Burns" where Springfield holds a Film Festival and invites The Critic (voiced by Jon Lovitz); "Lisa's Wedding" where a fortune-teller looks into Lisa's future; and the cliffhanger season finale "Who Shot Mr. Burns?". \nGood storylines, clever writing and an abundance of fresh jokes make season six one of the best "Simpsons" seasons, if not the best. \nCommentary side note: Matt Groening shares how the Northridge earthquake affected the writing process for season six. -Joe Livarchik \n Season 7: Best Episode Lisa the Iconoclast\nEveryone is always asking, "What happens when you combine babies and firearms?" Simply watch the first episode of season seven, the dramatic conclusion of "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" \nThis season has a lot of musical ties, guest-starring Paul and Linda McCartney, The Smashing Pumpkins, Cypress Hill, Sonic Youth, Peter Frampton; and the namesake for the favorite band of many a 16-year-old girl. Fallout Boy is the sidekick of the comic-book hero Radioactive Man, played by everyone's favorite blue-haired geek, Milhouse.\nRight behind the episode where Homer wears a dress, "Lisa the Iconoclast" is the most cromulent episode of the season for its take on our warped perceptions of history and the soothing voice of Donald Sutherland.\nSpringfield was founded when pioneers set out for New Sodom after misinterpreting the Bible with their leader, Jebediah Springfield.\nLisa discovers a secret confession of Jebediah admitting he was actually a murderous pirate, but the curator of the Springfield Historical Society (voiced by Sutherland) doesn't want her badmouthing the town hero. Homer also steals the position of town cryer from Flanders proclaiming that he suck-diddly-ucks.\nAnd if you don't like history, you can watch the episode where Troy McClure (allegedly) has sex with fish.-Joanna Borns\n Season 9: Best Episode "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson"\nSeason nine premiered 10 years ago and, episode for episode, is the last great Simpson's complete season.\nBoth the show's writers and animators are at their best in "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson." Homer had a bad experience in NYC before (he was robbed, had trash dumped on him, and chased by a pimp) and is similarly beleaguered in this outing. \nLandmarks and buildings are drawn with such excruciating detail and the streets are alive with so many extras you forget New York is the setting of the episode, not a character. In one tragic sequence, the World Trade Center is the setting for a couple of seemingly good humored jokes. In the episodes commentary track (Groening is noticeably absent) the writers offer an apology and lament the episode getting pulled from sydication. \nOther season highlights include Homer buying a gun in "Cartridge Family" and a Simponized telling of Lord of the Flies in "Das Bus." Matt Groening said the season finale "Natural Born Kissers" is one of his top ten favorite episodes. \nHey, Marge and Homer shaggin' in a putt-putt course windmill and running home butt-nekkid cracks my top 10, too.--Brian Hettmansperger