Writers’ Conference draws big crowd

Participants from across the country come to Bloomington

Chris Pickrell

A class of unconventional students gathered at 9 a.m. Tuesday in the Dogwood Room of the Indiana Memorial Union.\nCoffee in hand, the members of Adam Langer’s “Writing Like My Dog” class were unlike a majority of students on the IU campus. These classmates were not attending class for credit. Instead, they were attending the 67th annual Indiana University Writers’ Conference. \nThe IU Writers’ Conference brings in writers from all over the country. From playwrights to poets, the conference attracts well-known writers both as participants and instructors.\nConference participant and Bloomington Montessori School teacher Emily Miller said she often writes short stories to try to help her students understand how to form a storyline. She came to the conference to enhance these skills as well as her passion for poetry. \n“There are some things I would like to get published,” Miller said. “But if I had a mission, it would be to write a lot of really good short stories for the middle grades.” \nThe conference runs until Friday and offers a variety of learning and social programs for the participants. \nAccording to the Web site, the conference offers intensive workshops in fiction and poetry that require a manuscript submission and are available to students for University credit. Classes were available to all conference participants the entire week.\nOn Tuesday, Langer’s class was already comfortable together, bantering back and forth and commenting openly on each other’s work. \nLanger told the members of his class he does not want them worrying about what their writing is supposed to be. He encourages them to take their ideas anywhere. \n“It’s a form of communication between writer and reader,” Langer said. \nIU graduate student Shawna Ainsile said she has wanted to attend the conference since she was an IU undergraduate, but this has been her first chance, and she is enjoying every moment.\n“I’m working on my thesis, and this is really giving me the boost I need,” Ainsile said. \nFor a more social atmosphere, the conference opened its nightly readings to the public. Various instructors performed readings throughout the week in the Rose Firebay room at the John Waldron Arts Center, 122 S. Walnut St. \nBob Bledsoe, the Writer’s Conference director, greeted the crowd at the reading Tuesday, where Crystal Wilkinson and Langer read excerpts from their respective work. \n“I heard yesterday was hilarious,” said Daniel Castro, a recent IU graduate and conference participant, commenting on the Monday night reading, which featured Khaled Mattawa and Matthew Klam. \nThe chatter died down as the lights dimmed and as Wilkinson took the podium on Tuesday. \n“The last seven years, I’ve been trying to find things to keep me from writing my novel,” Wilkinson said with a smile to the crowd. \nWilkinson’s reading had the crowd silent and intently concentrating on her every word, and Langer’s reading had everyone laughing in their seats. Both were awarded with applause from the audience. On Wednesday, conference participants had the chance to read their own work during the nightly performances. \nThe conference ends Friday at noon, and the last public reading will be tonight, featuring authors Heather McHugh and Lee Martin.