R. Kelly Double Up : B-

'Double' your sexual pleasure

R. Kelly is everywhere these days, lending his powerful, sexy voice to just about any artist who can afford him, and nearly guaranteeing a hit in the process. On Double Up, his eigth solo album, Kelly attempts to duplicate the success of these collaborations and retread other styles that brought him his current seat on the throne of R&B.\nThings really get going with the title track, a duet with Snoop Dogg that tells a story about Kelly leaving a club with two girls. It may be offensive and misogynistic, but it's too catchy to complain about. The standout rap collaboration is "I'm a Flirt (Remix)" with T.I. and T-Pain, a fun song that makes me more afraid to bring my girlfriend anywhere near Kelly than I already was.\nKelly has never been at a loss for sexual euphemisms, and the tracks on this album are full of them. In "The Zoo," he promises to be a "sexasaurus," and in "Sex Planet" he swears he won't stop until he gives you "meteor showers." The only females that could possibly find this attractive are under 16 -- but then again, I've heard that is his target audience.\nPart Marvin Gaye, part Richard Pryor and part Michael Jackson (and not the part that sings), Kelly is a mad genius who knows exactly what he needs to do to get attention. Some might consider his songs disgusting and brainless, but they are not in the majority. While there is enough filler and repeated ideas throughout the album to make you think he might actually mean what he says, Kelly is way too tongue-in-cheek for this to be true. He may be past his days of collaborating with Celine Dion, but there is no doubt that his new material is still great music. Double Up is a solid -- if somewhat bloated -- effort, and a great way to kick off the summer.