IU Surplus Store offers inexpensive deals

Computers, furniture among popular items

Karly Tearney

Students longing for the polyester couch that graced the lounge in their freshman dorm or looking for a good deal on new desktop computer can find them both at the IU Surplus Store.\nFrom computers to couches, the warehouse, located on East 10th Street, offers a wide variety of gently used items. All merchandise comes from IU’s classrooms and offices.\nSurplus Store employee Roger Stout said summer is the store’s busiest time because IU departments get rid of things they no longer need and the older computers on campus are replaced when school gets out in May. \n“We sell computers, furniture from offices and dorms, and any odds and ends we might get,” Stout said. \nWhile the store offers sturdy polyester furniture for as little as $50, Stout says the selection of IU’s old computers is the biggest draw. \n“Computers are by far our biggest seller,” Stout said. \nDell desktops are available for $200, and several different makes of Apple computers are available from $400 –$700. Only the basic operating systems are left on the computers. \nThe computers go through a thorough inspection by electronics experts, Stout said. Therefore, he said, buyers very rarely have any complaints about the technology. \nMike Hoffman is the one of the electronics experts responsible for all the Apple computers that come into the store. \n“These are the ones the school has retired from use,” Hoffman said, patting the top of the Apple desktop he was looking over. \nHoffman said the University typically “retires” its computers every three years. Then, after he and the other “techies” check them over, they are transferred to the Surplus Store and put up for sale to the public. \nStout said the Surplus Store began business about 10 years ago. Before opening the store, auctions were held to sell the University’s surplus.\n“The purpose is to recover some money but also to give the public a deal,” Hoffman said.\nThe money recovered contributes to IU’s technology fund. \nJunior Tessa Rossi said she goes into the store once in a while to check out the new merchandise. \n“They’ve got some cool stuff in there,” Rossi said. “And everything is so cheap.”\nStout said stopping in is the best way to find the biggest deals because the store receives merchandise on a regular basis. \nThe Surplus Store is located on 2931 E. 10th St. Only check or money orders are accepted. The store is open 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.