Student involvement encouraged in provost search

Open discussion of provost search set for Wednesday

IU needs a new provost, and it wants one soon. \nPresident-elect and current Interim Provost Michael McRobbie formed a committee to find candidates to interview by mid-June to take over McRobbie’s provost position when he takes the presidency in July, said Fred Cate, IU law professor and chairman of the search committee. \nHowever, unlike previous hunts for chancellors and presidents, this search will be entirely internal. Cate said he is glad the search is internal, and that it “has its advantages,” because people within the University will be familiar and comfortable with whomever is chosen. \nCate also said the search should be, to some extent at least, public and open, so that interested people can feel familiar with the process as well as the candidates. There will even be an open discussion of the provost search from 4 to 5 p.m. Wednesday, May 16 in the Frangipani Room of the Indiana Memorial Union. \nCate said it is up to the search committee to get people involved in the process. \n“I think it’s absolutely critical,” he said. “I think the process has to be as open and inclusive as possible. I think the (search) committee’s going to have to work harder to get the word out.”\nCate also stressed the involvement of students in this search, a presence that was lacking in the search for IU’s next president. That absence of undergraduate and graduate input drew considerable criticism from concerned students that ended with McRobbie’s presidential appointment in March.\nAs a result, junior and IUSA Chief of Staff Matt Jarson was appointed to serve as the student representative on the search committee. \nJarson said he hopes to bring a different perspective to the committee as its only student member, and he recognizes the different relationships the new provost will have with administrators, faculty and students. \nHe also said he hopes to reach out to as many students and student organizations as possible during the search, though he acknowledges the plan will not be easy with so many students gone in the summer. \nJarson said he believed that McRobbie, during his time as interim provost, was “very receptive and open,” and the president-elect’s replacement must be someone of a similar mind-set. \n“(The committee has) a good amount of work to do,” Jarson said. “We want to see someone who is very open to students. I really hope we find someone receptive to undergraduate students.” \nDean of Students Dick McKaig said he believes that the next provost should be open to IU students, but added that he didn’t believe the position of provost is one requiring major visibility. He pointed out that some of McRobbie’s most visible early successes involved finding new deans rather than increasing one-on-one communication with the student body.\n“McRobbie had some opportunity to be visible,” McKaig said. “What of course was more critical was the work he was doing to hire some new deans. If the provost is actively involved in addressing the needs of undergraduate and graduate students ... students will be very, very well served.”\nCate said he agrees that the next provost must be available to students, as well as faculty and staff. He believes the provost’s job is difficult because of the time demands and responsibilities the position entails.\n“These (types of positions) are virtually impossible jobs, because we expect (those who fill) them to be everything to everyone,” Cate said.\nJarson said he believes the fact that the search is internal is a good thing because the committee should be able to find quality candidates in the short time frame given to them.\nThe provost is the head of academic affairs at IU. He or she meets regularly with the Bloomington Faculty Council and receives reports from the deans of every school. \nJarson said the position of provost has a broader scope than some people realize, adding that McRobbie left a lasting impression on the position during his time in office. \nMcKaig said he believes the next provost should not only be someone who has a strong familiarity with the University, but also someone well-respected and enthusiastic about the position.\n“Someone who would be respected as a scholar (would be a good choice),” McKaig said. “Someone who has a kind of vision and an energy about moving forward.”