Online only: YACHT: I Believe in You. Your Magic is Real. : B+

Believe in YACHT. His magic is Real.

I was standing outside a house party on Little 500 weekend following a hastily scheduled living room performance by YACHT. Jona Bechtolt, the man behind the moniker, was mingling with the locals and occasionally dabbing the sweat from his brow following his set. I enjoy his work with the Blow and also his solo project, so I approached him and struck up a conversation. A smile remained on his face throughout his performance and beyond. This is a person who is enjoying every minute of what he does and who loves that people admire his work. Near the conclusion of our conversation, he said, "We'll be sending out the new album soon. I hope you like it!"\nWell Jona, if you're reading this, I do like it. I Believe in You. Your Magic is Real is an accessible electronic endeavor that lets Bechtolt flex his already defined creative muscles. The songs are meticulously crafted and performed on Bechtolt's laptop. He creates upbeat dance songs that contain deliciously repetitive rhythms, electronic trimmings and digital handclaps that are certain to attract even the most deeply rooted wallflower to the dance floor. Lyrical content is also extremely varied. For instance, "We're Always Waiting" bobs along while Bechtolt chants what seems like an admonishment of materialism, while "Your Magic is Real" asks a series of rhetorical questions that make you wonder why you've been ignoring the little things that make life so enjoyable.\nIf the Blow is like bubble gum in the world of indie-electronic music, YACHT is like the Pixie Stick. YACHT makes songs that have an entirely different texture and are more likely to solicit sporadic movements based on the energy that you get as a result of ingestion of the material. Fans of the Blow should be aware that they won't be getting the sugary sweet and long-lasting hooks that they'll find in the work Bechtolt undertakes with Khaela Maricich. Additionally, while the album is a great look at Bechtolt's work, it still doesn't do his performances justice. Seeing the songs performed while YACHT flails about surrounded by sweaty people losing themselves in the moment is when you can see that Bechtolt's magic is real.