IU celebrates spatial technology

Students learn about uses of special system

Students interested in geography and science were able to learn from various tables displayed Wednesday in the lobby of the Herman B Wells Library. \nDuring Geographic Information Systems Day 2006, everyone at IU could learn about GIS and its uses. According to a GIS pamphlet, the systems combine software, computers, geographic data and people to perform spatial analyses of patterns on Earth's surface. The multibillion-dollar industry converts the rows and columns in databases and spreadsheets to maps displaying locations, routes and features, according to the University Information Technology Services Web site. The Web site also said IU staff provides support for GIS technologies on all of the IU campuses and helps with state efforts in structuring a map for Indiana. \nTom Evans, associate professor of geography, said GIS Day is a great way to learn the benefits of understanding GIS. \n"Students can learn about how GIS is a great skill to have, regardless of what their degree program is," Evans said in an e-mail. "It really is a science and technology that crosses social and physical science applications, and science and research that combines social and physical science."\nStudents were able to attend presentations and demonstrations and could also view posters showing how GIS has been used for different research purposes. Along with listening to presentations, people had the opportunity to participate in activities. They could play games such as "Where in Indiana," in which they matched aerial photos of geographic locations on giant posters of the state. Groups such as the Geology Department and School of Public and Environmental Affairs put table displays together. Attendees could enter giveaways as well. Specialists were at the event to answer questions about career opportunities related to GIS and the ways GIS could be applicable to students' majors, Evans said in an e-mail. \nDavid C. Ford, Indiana State Senator and chair of the Senate's Economic Development and Technology Committee, presented the event's keynote presentation, titled "A Vision for Future Applications of GIS." He touched on the environmental aspects, how GIS affects people's privacy, the ways of changing transportation and issues in GIS business. Ford intrigued his audience by saying more people needed to be educated on GIS so the technology could be better understood and promoted. He kept his audience's attention by presenting a plan for GIS education in the future, starting with grades K-12. \nBradley Dion, a junior, and Kyle Bartley, a senior, both said they liked the Senator's speech. \n"I thought it was pretty good," Dion said. "He had points to make, and I agree with what he said. There are ways to improve GIS in Indiana and in general. It will play a role for the future." \nBartley said he came for a class but said he thought it was interesting.\n"I liked how he said GIS can help us starting with the youth, and it made it somewhat exciting."\nFor more information about GIS, visit http://gis.iu.edu.