Variety is the spice of fashion

There is a reason why Northwest Airlines hates me, and it is this: I carry more luggage than a Mormon missionary family smuggling bibles.\nIt’s true. I could be going to a nudist resort down the block and I’d still pack two full duffel bags. There’s probably a support center somewhere, but it would make you check your purse at the door, so no one would go.\nThe issue has escalated to the point where three of my last four plane rides have begun with me being forced to relocate 25 pounds of extra crap – I didn’t need with me in the first place – to avoid the extra fee. All the while, the crowd of traveling strangers behind me watched with condescension. I even saw one woman shake her head and stroke a crucifix. Of course, I eventually stuffed my purse with every last barbell and paperweight from the suitcase and wondered: “Am I not still bringing the same amount of weight onto the plane?”\nThe Northwest Airlines employees don’t see it this way. What do physics and flying have to do with each other anyway? \nSo why must I be such a luggage diva, you might ask? That’s simple: I just like options. Although I am easily entertained (hence all the VH1), I am easily bored as well. \nWhen it comes to my wardrobe, I need variety – not just with different pieces, but with different looks. Some days I wake up thinking “It’s a Kate Moss day,” so I slap on a pair of skinny jeans and an oversized top, eat a Tic Tac and am ready to embrace the day. On my sporty casual days, I lace up some Pumas and rifle through my drawers for a vintage tee. Maybe one day I’ll even wake up saying, “Sweat pants and Uggs for this girl!” But then I’ll probably sober up from the night before and go to gofugyourself.com to reinstate my dignity.\nI’ve noticed that many people seem to identify their own styles and buy only items that fit within those styles. What a snore. How can you portray different aspects of yourself with a one-note wardrobe?\nRecently, however, I noticed that my closet was actually boring me. Something was missing and that something was Wu-Tang. \nBear with me here. As I have always said, the bond between music and fashion is undeniably prevalent. For example, I could formulate an appropriate playlist for every outfit I wear. Again I ask: What are your sweat pants singing?\nThis playlist theory works both ways, too. So imagine my reaction when I found myself rapping to Jay-Z and wearing a cashmere turtleneck. Oh, the horror.\nSo I did what any hip-hop fashion-deprived shopaholic would do. I bought a hoodie.\nJust like that I made small style change and bought something unexpected (even for me). Not that I’m saying that buying a whacked-out hoodie makes someone intrinsically hip-hop, but it sure as hell can’t hurt. \nFrom then on, I began making small purchases that I felt could contribute to my new look, without appearing drastically out of character. One gold chain and some wide-legged pants later, I no longer have to listen to Jay-Z in a cashmere turtleneck. \nMy point here is not to promote any specific fashion style over any other – my gaggle of new hoodies and bling is just a way to express a different aspect of my personality. People are in a constant state of change, so why shouldn’t your wardrobe be, too?\nBut I guess you don’t necessarily have to take your wardrobe everywhere you go. That’s a lesson I have yet to learn.