Teams prep for final series event

Geoffrey Miller

The motto for the Delta Sigma Pi cycling teams this year has been “making the track our business.”\nAs members of one of the Kelley School of Business’ professional, co-ed fraternities, Delta Sig members are more known for balancing accounts or making business proposals than they are for cycling success. However, this year Delta Sig showed its skills on the track with both the men’s and women’s teams qualifying in the top 10 for the Little 500. \nJunior rider Andy Haas said the fraternity is excited for the early success of both teams this year.\n“Our entire fraternity is pumped about the race this year, with the guy’s team and the girl’s team in the top 10,” Haas said. “We are looking forward to it.”\nThe men’s team will have another opportunity to make a statement when it faces perennial power Phi Gamma Delta tonight in the final spring series event, Team Pursuit. \nJunior Tyler George said the team is looking forward to facing FIJI, a team with years of Little 500 tradition and success.\n“As a business fraternity, we sort of have this rivalry with social fraternities,” he said. “I feel like tomorrow could really be a statement for our team to be like, we can compete with the big guys.”\nThe women’s team is also aiming for a top finish at the final spring series event, junior Kathryn Krengel said.\n“Our main goals are really to do well in place lining and communication and just be as efficient and fast as possible,” Krengel said. “You’re chasing the team that’s on the track with you, but really it’s a time thing.”\nKrengel, a rookie this season, said she becomes more confident with each event leading up to the race.\n“As we do more and more series events I’m less nervous as they come around,” she said.\nTeam Pursuit showcases the strength of the entire team. \nDuring each heat, two teams take the track starting in turns two and four. Starting from the infield, riders sprint to their bikes and then ride the heat (12 laps for women, 15 for men). The top two men’s and women’s teams will face off at the end of the evening for the championship. Last season’s event was cancelled due to rain storms.\nThe winner of the spring series events wears the white jersey race day. \nCurrently, Cutters has a 21-point lead over Dodds House, meaning it is most likely the Cutters will don the white jerseys for a second straight race. \nOn the women’s side, Teter holds an 11-point margin over second place Alpha Gamma Delta and Kappa Alpha Theta.\nWhile they don’t have a chance to take the white jersey, the Delta Sig men hope to take advantage of the chance to race against one of the most storied names in Little 500 history.\n“We have an opportunity to do this,” George said. “I don’t want to be paired with a team that doesn’t have that kind of recognition, so now we have a challenge and a goal. If we meet that goal, our fraternity will be so happy with us.”\n–Sports editor Michael Sanserino contributed to this report