Students search to find sublets for summer

Sophomore Ashley Seeger decided she was staying in Bloomington for the summer but realized she needed a place to stay. She was all set when plans fell through with the person she was planning on living with. \n“It got really complicated and difficult,” Seeger said. \nSeeger searched elsewhere until she found an apartment to sublease. During the summer months, subleasing can be difficult, but with fliers around campus, OneStart provides a tool for students who are looking to sublease. With more than 1,000 entries in regards to housing, finding a place to live can seem less stressful. \nSome students might even find an ad on the door of the stall in the bathroom reading “NEEDED: Someone to sublease!”\nVaughn Mitchell, leasing manager at the Varsity Villas, said not many students walk in to ask about leases. And if they do, he tells them to put ads up around campus. \n“People sublet quite frequently,” Mitchell said. “When someone is subletting, they have to come in and sign a sublet lease. It’s in case of any damages, and so they can park in our lot.”\nStephanie Mansker, the property manager at Dunnhill Apartments, said she gets a lot of students who come in to sublease an apartment. \n“Students are constantly coming in to sublease, and it’s because of our location,” Mansker said regarding Dunnhill’s placement by the stadium. “But they have to completely sign over the lease and go through approval just like everyone else.” \nFor Dunnhill policies, Mansker explained that it’s better to have the person who is subletting their apartment sign over the lease to the new person who will be living there. Mankser said only 10 to 15 percent of the 183 units are subleased over the summer. \nJane Lyons, business manager at Brownstone Terrace said they sell out of apartments after only three months of leasing, and rarely get anyone who wants to sublet. \nLyons said 10 percent of 121 units are subleased. \n“We do get some, but not a lot,” Lyons said. “But they have to come in and sign a contract. We legally have to know who is in our building.” \nFor students looking for an apartment to sublease this summer, contact the apartment complexes or browse the OneStart ads. And if you still have no luck, check the flyers around campus.