Sierra Club teaches good ways to help environment

This past week’s weather has been hell on us. It seems like summer decided to take a step back and let winter move in again in April. But aren’t environmentalists saying that we are currently going through global warming? This strange weather got me to start to think: March’s weather was more like April’s, and April’s weather is more like March. Maybe Al Gore was on to something with his hit movie “An Inconvenient Truth.”\nI strongly believe in global warming and have tried to make large-scale changes in our society. The strange weather we are currently having is just more evidence. Scientists are saying that if we continue on our path, Miami, parts of New York City and all the Florida Keys will be under water within 100 years – and that is during our lifetime. We have such a strong impact on our environment, but how do we do fix it? It seems like every time we turn around, we are just bombarded with more ways that hurt the environment and are left feeling hopeless.\nHowever, you can help! Recently, I have been contacted by the Sierra Club asked if I would help train college and high school students over the summer. I have done similar trainings and am now a trainer at the Sierra Club’s Los Angeles’ training. These trainings open a world of possibility for everyone interested in helping our environment. With a mix of hands-on experience and interactive lessons, students at this training will learn how to efficiently plan a campaign, effectively communicate, activate other students and will also learn from some of the world’s leading speakers. You can get more information on the Sierra Club’s sessions online or apply at www.ssc.org/sprog.

Steven Furr\nJunior