Lack of minorities concerns some Little 500 participants

Coach calls for greek houses to ‘actively integrate’

In the same month as Major League Baseball’s celebration of Jackie Robinson Day, the lack of minority representation in the 57th running of the Little 500 field showed some involved that there are still strides that need to be made in diversifying the intramural bicycle race. \nFormer Team Major Taylor rider and current Asian Culture Center coach Julio German said that a host of things cause the problem, and it starts with the IU campus itself. \n“The lack of minority presence starts with the fact that Indiana University isn’t diverse,” German said. “An honest effort to recruit this group should be applied by IU (Student Foundation) and IU. Cycling is an expensive sport, and grants may even be a way to help out in starting more diverse teams.” \nLittle 500 Race Coordinator Matthew Ewing said they focus a lot of effort on recruiting minorities, but they can’t force people to ride. \n“We always like to increase the number of minorities involved, and we’ll continue outreach,” Ewing said. “We’re looking to get more minority participation.”\nGerman said that TMT coach Courtney Bishop was passionate about change and that was reflected in his team’s lineup.\nBishop received a lifetime ban from the race in December 2005 for allegedly offering scholarships to riders for participating in the Little 500. The IU Student Foundation reinstated him just last month. \nFour team members comprise TMT, and all have different ethnic backgrounds, including the men’s race’s only black rider, Ali Camara. Riders from four different racial backgrounds comprise the most diverse team in the field of 33. The team placed fifth in this year’s Little 500 largely due to the performance of Camara, who rode in 106 of the 200 laps.\nCamara said he thinks his performance in the Little 500 can inspire others to participate.\n“I think diversity is always a good thing,” Camara said. “If people see one minority doing something they might say ‘I can do that too,’ and that just gets the ball rolling.”\nEwing agreed that more minorities will benefit the race. \n“The event will benefit all, and we don’t discriminate,” Ewing said. “Everyone can benefit, whether they be black or white doesn’t matter. ... I think more minorities participating in the race would draw a more diverse crowd because they’ll have friends and families to support them.”\nBishop said his team has evolved through the years and diversified itself from what started as an all-black team. Bishop added that they have been collaborating with some minority fraternities to field a team, but that the diversification of the race can really benefit from all the fraternities already in the race helping the cause.\n“It’s on fraternities to actively integrate a house. Then they can field minorities,” Bishop said. “But until that happens, TMT is the model for diversity in the Little 500.”