Ind. House passes smoking ban for most indoor public places

Lawmaker: We need to promote clean air

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana House of Representatives approved legislation Monday that would establish a statewide ban on smoking in most enclosed public places.\nThe bill passed on an unrecorded vote but at least 60 lawmakers voted for it. The legislation was attached as an amendment to a major health care bill that may eventually include a cigarette tax.\nThe amendment by Rep. Eric Turner, R-Gas City, would prohibit smoking in enclosed public places, sports arenas and indoor places of employment. It would not apply to retail tobacco stores, bars, public areas that are leased for private functions or businesses that have no employees other than the owner.\nTurner said the restrictions were modest compared with those in some states, and city ordinances in Indiana could be stronger than the provision if it becomes law.\n“I think this is a beginning,” said Turner, who has supported some anti-smoking legislation in the past.\nRep. Matt Pierce, D-Bloomington, said that Bloomington has a city ordinance restricting smoking in public places and that it has not hurt the economy.\n“People eat, people drink, people enjoy themselves,” Pierce said. “People breathe clean air. I think we should do anything that promotes clean air in Indiana.”\nHouse Minority Leader Brian Bosma, R-Indianapolis, did not vote because he was one of two lawmakers counting other votes. He said he believed the provision probably went too far, especially in its regulation of businesses, but said passage of the amendment was a “substantial statement” and was bipartisan.\n“It’s a huge thing to do without public testimony,” Bosma said.\nThe bill, which includes major health incentives that could be funded by a cigarette tax increase, still has a long way to go before it becomes law. The overall bill was eligible for passage in the House on Tuesday and was likely headed to a joint House-Senate conference committee where compromises will be sought.