In Queen's good graces

This effeminate singer comes to us by way of London-from-Paris-from-Beruit, and he brings his worldly understanding of music from his days training under a Russian opera master and classical performances at the Royal Opera House of London. \nOdd resume for a future pop-star, I know. Maybe not your standard formula for success, but hear Mika pipe out fun falsetto melodies before you judge.\nThis album pops off from the beginning with a bubblegum sound that is as happily annoying as it is impossible to get out of your head. Songs like "Grace Kelly" and "Relax (Take It Easy)" could make Freddie Mercury or Madonna jealous they're so damn catchy.\nIf you missed Mika so far, I pity you. Somehow his blip on our nation's collective musical radar has been tiny, even with MTV promotions. Life has some singles not to be missed.\nBut hang on just one damn second before you -- the adoring masses who hang off my every review -- bum rush Best Buy for this album like the rabid possum who lives near my back deck bum rushes our trash each night. Down boys and girls, down! \nLife In Cartoon Motion is one of those every-other-song-is-awesome albums. The filler between isn't bad, just not peppy or big enough to keep up the styling's necessary to do the Nelly Furtado-meets-Styx sound. And some of the sounds come off contrived, which isn't all that surprising given the bombastic nature of this straightforward pop.\nThank God above for these Brits, though. I'm looking forward to Mika's second album, given how mature he is already. Be sure to snatch up the singles, if nothing else. After all, there's a reason why Queen's Brian May went to bat for Mika in the media, publicly calling one negative reviewer a "wanker."\nWell, now that mine is through, Mr. May, penny for your thoughts?