world

Around the world

Motorists can expect an easing of the recent gasoline price surge in coming weeks, with costs averaging about what they did last summer over the heavy vacation driving season, the government said Tuesday. The Energy Department predicted that the average nationwide cost of regular-grade gasoline would likely peak at $2.87 a gallon in May, up only 7 cents over the average last week.

U.S. and Iraqi soldiers fought a daylong battle with insurgents in a violent area of central Baghdad on Tuesday, leaving four Iraqi soldiers dead and 16 U.S. soldiers wounded, the military said.

Two suspected terrorists blew themselves up in Morocco as police were closing in Tuesday and another suspect was shot and killed by police as he prepared to detonate his explosives, authorities said.

Warming temperatures could result in food shortages for 130 million people across Asia by 2050 and cause potentially catastrophic problems in Africa, wiping out one of the continent’s staple crops altogether, according to a U.N. report released Tuesday.

A Bush administration official warned Tuesday that time was running out for North Korea to take steps toward dismantling its nuclear program, while a U.S. nuclear negotiator expressed hope that Saturday’s deadline could still be met.