Theme parties: Dress outside the box (or closet)

The walk of shame. Ordering Pizza Express at 3 a.m. and passing out before it arrives. Trying to be the first person to pee on one of those ridiculous $50,000 musical clocks on campus. \nWhat do all of these have in common? Well, they were all pretty fun for me last night! Just kidding, there was no way I was going to pass out before I got my cheese bread and ranch. Forget my diet. I stop counting calories when I start losing the ability to count.\nActually, the correct answer is: These are all events that take place almost exclusively in college. Not that they can’t occur at other stages in life, but if you’re 47 and still really into public urination, that’s a whole different issue.\nAnyway, last night I was invited to a “rock star party.” Obviously, I went as myself. But, so did everyone else, which didn’t make for such a terrific theme party (although any party that offers three flavors of Jell-O shots is always a success). But it got me thinking about theme parties and how intrinsically “college” they are. With the obvious exception of Halloween, when in your life are you ever going to get to do this again? They don’t throw golf pro and tennis ho parties in the real world.\nI do have a few grievances when it comes to theme parties. First, there certainly aren’t enough of them. Second, people are not nearly as enthusiastic about them as they should be. I have a friend who absolutely refuses to attend any and all theme parties and I just can’t get over it. I’ve told her that she’s contributing to society’s moral downfall multiple times, but to no avail. What’s not to love about theme parties? It’s the opportunity to dress outside the box. \nPeople are constantly telling me “I couldn’t pull that off,” which is what I like to refer to as “lazy fashion.” It occurs when people want to try a different look, or maybe they want to emulate someone else’s look, but they fear that friends will have some sort of averse reaction. “Oh God, Gina, are those skinny jeans you’re wearing? But, but you never wear skinny jeans! I just don’t think I can handle this right now. We’re no longer friends.”\nBut for these lazy fashionistas, theme parties are the answer! You are free to wear whatever you want and no one cares if you “pull it off” or not. And – gasp – it’s actually fun! Rummaging around Goodwill for a Bill Cosby sweater with your best friends is a guaranteed good time. Applying nine or 10 layers of eyeliner for an emo-themed bash is exciting, especially for all the guys that secretly wish they could wear makeup like us lucky ladies. Try to deny it; I’ll never believe you. And after all that hard work and preparation, you get to go to a party, take pictures with a bunch of toga-clad hotties and drink cheap beer. Again I ask: What’s not to love?\nSo my advice is: Next time you’re invited to a theme party, not only should you go, but you should go all out. Whatever the theme is, just rock it. Maybe you’ll snag some digits or even a late-night romp, but be careful. The walk of shame is not nearly as fun when you’re still wearing that toga.