Middle of the Abbey Road

Sometimes in music, bands are so enamored with a band or style of music that it's all that comes through. Philly indie rockers Dr. Dog are enamored with the '60s psychedelic pop of Sgt. Pepper's Beatles and late'60s Beach Boys. Self-proclaimed as the Beatles cover band that doesn't do Beatles songs, Dr. Dog employs everything Beatles: the strings, the airy three-part harmonies, the twangy guitar and the lively piano. They even attempt to record in the lo-fi manner to create that signature '60s sound. It's the type of album that would sound better on vinyl. All in all, Dr. Dog does not bring anything new to the table on their fourth LP, We All Belong, but they are able to create likeable indie pop tunes reminiscent of the incredible '60s psych pop scene.\nWe All Belong begins with two tracks that really reflect this retro style, with the rousing "Old News" and amiable "My Old Ways." Most of the album reflects the sound of these two songs, however, when Dr. Dog begin to stray from this formula, the band sounds its best. "The Girl" takes a more experimental route and even becomes a little reckless. "Alaska" sounds less carefree than the rest of the record and almost desperate. These songs that administer more raw emotion are the best of the record. While they still deploy '60s pop elements, they sound less like rip-offs and more like pieces of influence. It seems the most Beatles-esque songs, like the title track, "We All Belong," are also some of the best on the record since they have mastered the Beatles' formula. The middle of the spectrum songs like "Worst Trip" and "Keep a Friend" are rather boring and drag the album down.\nSo while many hardcore Beatles fans would probably consider We All Belong blasphemy, others may just find it nice to hear that memorable musical style once more. Though the band sounds irreverent at times, the music is extremely playful and good-natured. Dr. Dog has toured around opening for several big acts like The Strokes and The Raconteurs and will probably stay an opening act for their career. We All Belong is pleasant pop album, but is nothing special.