Keep it simple, stupid

There are many in the business world, including myself, who believe in the Keep It Simple Stupid, or KISS, method. It encourages individuals to keep ideas and concepts as simple as possible. Personally, I think the KISS method is brilliant. Using the KISS method as a framework I have come up with what I call the “third-grader” test. I have found that for something to be effective and to be accepted on a large scale, it must be easy enough for a third-grader to understand. This applies to customers, employees and even investors. \nAt its core, business was intended to be very simple. The higher up in the company you are, the simpler and clearer you need to communicate. A finance “number-cruncher” can use vocabulary words that only big-time MBAs would know, but a CEO and owner needs to be able to communicate to the entire company. \nNowhere is this more evident than in written communication. Many of my peers believe they are good writers because they sprinkle in big words amid painfully long sentences. It is much easier to use a thesaurus than to consistently work on your writing skills. While you might think you are a good writer, you aren’t fooling anyone. Maybe you can impress a second-grader, but after that it is going to be hard. Learn to write simple, clear sentences. There is nothing more effective than a revolutionary idea that is easy to understand. \nThe third-grader test also applies to customer service. It is the reason why so many MBAs and “highly qualified individuals” find it hard to interact with customers. I am not implying that you should talk down to a customer. All I am saying is that you should assume a third-grader’s level of comprehension (even though that is probably not the case). Educate your customer on your company and market and clearly explain everything to them.\nWhat surprises most businessmen and -women is that investors should also be treated as third-graders. There is a big misconception that investors are looking for highly complex business models. While there can be many facets and details about your plan, an investor wants to be able to easily understand your idea. The concept of “elevator pitch” competitions (where individuals are given one minute to pitch their business idea) demonstrates this idea. The KISS method is especially important when the entrepreneur is pitching his or her idea for the first time. As a general rule, the first meeting with an investor is a “What is your big idea?” meeting. Remember, investors are very busy individuals and don’t want you to waste their time before they have even decided whether they are interested in your business.\nTo many, the KISS method sounds counter-intuitive. But it is highly effective. \nThe art of keeping things simple (ironically) is difficult. It takes a lot of time and effort to develop these skills. However, if you put in the time, it will bring with it great rewards.