Hoosiers compete at Adidas Invitational

Softball plans to gain consistency in Floridian trip

Less than a week after having its games against Ohio and Southern Illinois canceled because of the threat of extreme cold weather in Carbondale, Ill., the IU softball team will get to compete in the sun when they travel to Clearwater, Fla., for the Adidas Invitational today.\nThe Hoosiers (3-4) will compete in six games at the Invitational, going up against border-state natives Illinois at Chicago and Northern Illinois, among others.\nThough the trip to Clearwater will present a weather pattern with some consistency, the same can’t be said for the Hoosiers’ game. Coach Stacey Phillips said she thinks the change of venue will help her team’s performance.\n“I expect us to find consistency within all parts of our game, and I think the good weather will help us to compete and perform better,” Phillips said.\nIn its recent games the team has had several different players step up, but some have also faded at times. Despite having a wealth of talent on their roster, the Hoosiers have struggled to find regularity from those who showed flashes of brilliance in the early moments of the season.\n“We have a very talented team, and when we get on the same page it’ll be a stellar bunch,” Phillips said. “The fact that they step up here and there is great, but we need to get them to do it together and have the success become contagious from game-to-game.”\nSophomore shortstop Stephanie Pellerito is one of the Hoosiers who has made big plays in pressure situations. She hit a grand slam that led the Hoosiers to a win in their last contest against Ball State. Pellerito said the Hoosier squad can benefit from the upcoming tournament by beginning its game on a better note.\n“If we can start more consistent from the beginning and not fall behind early, we’ll be more efficient on defense and offense because we won’t be playing catch up.”\nThe Hoosiers also have two new pitchers who are still adjusting to the daily grind of pitching, which might play a role in the Hoosiers unpredictable play. Sophomore pitcher Monica Wright said it is important for the team to focus on being positive.\n“Each and every one of us needs to take the good with the bad and focus on the future without worrying about past games,” Wright said. \nDespite a slow start, Moore said she believes the Hoosiers will find their stride.\n“I think we just need to find our groove, and we’ll soar once we find it.”