Having a Ball

Bloomington residents are treated to two hours worth of rock everytime Hairbangers Ball takes the stage.

After an hour of waiting in line, getting a big Long Island iced tea and saving front-row seats for her friends, senior Danielle Mendelson screams in delight as smoke begins to pour out onto stage. Hairbangers Ball is about start its show in tribute to the "decade of decadence" -- the 1980s.\nHairbangers Ball is an '80s tribute band that not only covers the songs of the period but also the fashion. From the big hair to the tight leather pants, band members look like they came out of a popular '80s music video. \nThe band makes a living traveling the Midwest. This Friday, they will perform at the Bluebird, a venue they have played more than a dozen times. Bluebird manager and owner Dave Kubiak said the club is packed wall to wall for Hairbangers Ball shows.\n"It's always a wild night," Kubiak said.

Formed a few years ago, the band is composed of Tyler Steven and Vic Voxx on lead vocals and acoustic guitar, Polly Pantz on keyboard and vocals, Chris Crotch on bass guitar and vocals, Jeff Jackson and Bobby Bones on lead and rhythm guitar, and Zeek Zildjian on drums.\nBefore every show, band members all grab hands and think of something funny they have seen that week, usually an inside joke. They all scream the phrase as loud as they can, which they said helps the band get pumped up and ready to take the stage.\nWhen Hairbangers Ball takes the stage, they fill two hours with high-energy music -- about 28 songs a show -- and an equally energetic performance. The band loves beer and shots, and they each usually have three or four drinks before a performance, Jackson said.\n"We have never been kicked out of the clubs," Jackson said. "Although we should have been due to our recklessness."\nMendelson, who said Stevens is the hottest member of the group besides Pantz, said she loves when Stevens sings.\n"(Stevens) can hit every note when he sings Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing,'" Mendelson said. "Girls love to grab at him while he is belting out the tunes."\nJackson said he does not have a favorite part of the band's performances, but he has been told Pantz's singing is a highlight, along with Zildjian's drum solo.\n"People describe our show as high-energy and spontaneous," Jackson said. "There are always young beauties in the audience, too."

The passel of young females in the crowd at each show has inspired a rumor about a "little black book" the band possesses with the phone numbers of "their local girlfriends." Jackson's official response to inquiries about the little black book is "no comment."\nOne thing Jackson will comment on is the friendships he has made with the fans in the cities where Hairbangers Ball performs. Fans prepare homemade food and cookies for the band to eat while they are on tour. \n"After going to towns for a few years, we get to know (the fans)," Jackson said. "We hang out with them; we know their lives and the names of their kids."\nMendelson will also attest to the band's friendship. Between chatting with the band while they set up for the show and saying "great job" after the show, Mendelson has become close to the band. She's partied with Hairbangers Ball in their hotel after a show at the Bluebird, which consisted of lots of drinking, dancing and swimming, she said. She has even made one of Pantz' stage outfits.\n"It's a white bra with diamond rhinestones glued on," Mendelson said. "It's even been used in some of their marketing materials! Polly Pantz is awesome and totally hot!"\nBecause of the constant touring and the success of the band, the members are now being spotted by fans when they are out. Hairbangers Ball eats at Scotty's or Malibu Grill when they come to Bloomington.\n"(Being spotted in public) is fun, it makes us feel good," Jackson said.

Though Jackson and the rest of the band have a passion for '80s hair metal, they didn't immediately decide to do it for a living.\n"(Hairbangers Ball) got so big and the crowds got so huge and we had to quit our jobs and do the band full-time," Jackson said. "We love the music, it was the 'decade of decadence,' which focused on partying and having a good time. That's what Hairbangers Ball is all about."\nA few years ago, Jackson was working full-time as a consultant for a graphic design company. Now he applies those business skills to the band.\n"The band is like any other small business," Jackson said. "With marketing, advertising and payroll -- not to mention performing -- it is a full-time job."\nAll the members of Hairbangers Ball are full-time musicians and make a living off the band.

After touring nonstop since the formation of the band, Jackson says they plan to take a week off in April to recharge their batteries. After that, it's back to touring the Midwest again. The band is also playing some dates in Las Vegas and New York. \nJackson said Hairbangers Ball will continue to tour as long as the fans appreciate it. Hairbangers Ball will play a show April 12 at The Vogue in Indianapolis and will be back at the Bluebird April 19 and 20, according to the band's Web site.