Family history can predict alcoholism in some cases

Before moving on to the professional world, college students often test their limits through the use of various substances.\nThe substance of choice for many is alcohol. But in the words of Tom Cox, executive director of Amethyst addiction services in Bloomington, alcohol is the “most dangerous one there is.”\n“Approximately 12 percent of the U.S. population suffers from alcoholism,” Cox said. \nProblems including injury, death, disease and criminal behavior are associated with excessive alcohol use, he said. For many young people, alcohol use is an enjoyable social activity, but it’s not for everyone. Problems with alcohol are often discovered too late, many times requiring treatment and rehabilitative counseling to overcome the addiction or – in some cases – legal troubles.\nAlcoholism is a chronic disease, just as heart disease and diabetes are, so steps must be taken to watch for the warning signs, Cox said.\n“It’s hard to find a family that doesn’t have some history of alcohol abuse,” Cox explained. “Sixty to 70 percent of people have an immediate or close family member with a history.”\nCox said genetics play a major role in alcohol-related problems.\n“Kids with one parent suffering from alcoholism are three to four times more likely to develop problems with alcoholism,” he said. “Children with both parents, six to seven times more likely.”\nThose numbers are echoed by the National Institute for Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. But a genetic history of alcoholism does not guarantee one will become an alcoholic. More than half of all children of alcoholics do not become alcoholics, according to the institute’s Web site. \nData that point toward the problems of addiction seemingly do little to deter binge drinking at IU, where it is a regular practice. Binge drinking is defined depending on the sex of the drinker – when a man consumes more than four drinks or a woman consumes more than three drinks in a two-hour period, according to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.\nSophomore Charli Seltzer said she binge drinks at most once a week. Seltzer said there is no alcoholism in her immediate family, but even if there were, she would “not drink anymore than (she does) already.”\n“I don’t think (family history) is much of a deterrent until you get people into treatment,” Cox said.\nAll treatment patients at Amethyst are required to give full background reports, and many have a family history of abuse. Cox said that it becomes apparent to many patients during treatment how influential genetics really are on their drinking habits.\n“Before treatment, there are feelings of invincibility – the ‘it’s not gonna happen to me’ attitude,” he said. “There is a lot of denial.”