Windfall Dancers to bring 'Arabian Nights' to life

When modern dance pioneer José Limón said, "American dance is not simply a style or idiom -- it is a potent idea," he certainly could have been talking about Windfall Dancers and their commitment to exploring new ways of movements and concepts in the modern dance arena.\nThe Bloomington-based modern dance company will perform its dance interpretation of "Arabian Nights" on Friday and Saturday at the John Waldron Arts Center as part of the annual Middle Eastern Arts Festival, which takes place until Feb. 10.\nThe literary classic will be told through both modern and Middle Eastern dance. It will feature live music by Salaam, a band who worked closely with Windfall in developing traditional Middle Eastern music. Because the book is rooted in Middle Eastern traditions, the company knew the show would be most successful if it incorporated movements that were distinctive to the region, said graduate student Carol Subino, a co-director of the show. \nTo facilitate this, two belly dancers, both IU graduate students, were brought in to work with the dancers to master the Middle Eastern dance techniques.\n"The belly dancers really taught the fundamentals and the symbolism of the movement," Subino said. "The dancers were then able to draw from a Middle Eastern perspective."\nWindfall Dancers is a modern dance collective that uses the artistic vision of all company members. This weekend's performances will present the choreography of seven different company members, Subino said. There will also be a belly-dance number, she said.\nThe program, which is part of the 2006-2007 Bloomington Area Arts Council Performance Series, is sponsored in part by a grant from the Bloomington Community Arts Commission. The Bloomington Arts Commission awarded Windfall Dancers with a yearlong grant after being impressed with their range of program opportunities, said Jonna Risher, the Bloomington Area Arts Council's arts development director.\n"Arabian Nights" is just one project among many for the Windfall Dancers. In their grant proposal, they sought funding to expand their outreach to underserved rural communities that may not be exposed to dance. They also wanted to do more interactive programs that included children and students and to continue to offer dance classes to the Bloomington community.\n"Having a variety of programs with audiences, offering dance classes to people of all ages, all of these were attractive qualities (in allotting grant money)," Risher said. "They are bringing exceptional dance exposure to the community."\nSubino hopes this weekend's program will attract new audiences who may be familiar with "Arabian Nights." \n"The show itself is very audience-friendly. There is dance and music, but also storytelling," Subino said. "I think the audience will really take something out of it."\n"Arabian Nights" runs at 8 p.m. at the John Waldron Arts Center, 122 S. Walnut St., on Feb. 2, 3, 9 and 10.\nTickets are $8 for students, $10 for adults and can be reserved in advance by calling 334-0506. Tickets will also be available the night of the show.