Tony winner 'Hairspray' features big hair, big performances

"Hairspray" is not your typical musical. In this lighthearted musical comedy, the protagonist's mother is played by a man, and popularity status is determined by the size of a girl's hair.\n"Hairspray," which boasts eight Tony Awards, opened Tuesday at the IU Auditorium and will close tonight.\n"The show has great energy," said Christy Steele, president and CEO of the Bloomington Chamber of Commerce. "We're fortunate to have this in Bloomington."\nSteele added it was nice to have the local flare of three former Hoosiers in the show.\nTuesday's performance began with the in-your-face, cheerful attitude of Tracy Turnblad, played by Brooklynn Pulver, as she invited the audience to delve into her world. She faces the continuing struggle for acceptance as a "large" young woman, and she soon finds out she is just one of many who struggle with acceptance.\nThe show takes place in 1962 Baltimore, where popularity is based on whose hair is largest and who is ahead of the trends. The trends are set by "The Corny Collins Show," a teen dance show idolized by everyone as the hippest TV show.\nBut with only three channels in a growing commercial era, there is little room for a hipper substitute. The show portrays American teens as clean-cut, beautiful and talented dancers.\nTracy is determined to receive a spot on the show and, against her mother's wishes, she auditions for an opening. Her mother, Edna, played by Jerry O'Boyle, is also a large woman and realizes society's view of women like them.\nO'Boyle's comedic timing received laughs throughout the performance and, on a few occasions, even caused fellow actors to nearly break out in laughter on stage.\n"The actor playing Edna is obviously a very gifted comedian," said Tom Robson, a graduate student studying theater history.\nAfter being turned down for being overweight and not meeting the popularity standards, Tracy meets a group of black people also turned down by the show due to society's reluctance to accept anyone who does not meet their standards.\nSeaweed, played by Christian White, is one of the black students who helps give Tracy dance lessons and the confidence to give the audition one more try.\nTracy becomes an overnight hit after a live performance. Tracy and her best friend, Penny, played by Alyssa Malgeri, become good friends with the black students. Penny's awkward but well-timed comments caused laughter nearly every time she spoke.\n"Penny's hysterical," sophomore Hannah Todd said. "She really steals the scenes."\nThe issues of acceptance culminate into Tracy helping her black friends be integrated into the exclusive "Corny Collins Show." Failed attempts almost cause Tracy to lose hope, but the happy ending will leave all with smiles on their faces.\n"If I liked it, anyone would like it," junior Kevin Noschang said. "I'm hard to please." \nToday's final performance begins at 8 p.m. at the IU Auditorium. Tickets cost $19 to $59 and can be purchased at the IU Auditorium box office or through Ticketmaster. For more information, visit www.iuauditorium.com or www.iuauditorium.com/new0607/hairspray.html.