Student presents play about coping with heroin addiction

‘Against the Grain’ at JWAC from Feb. 22-25

Courtesy Photo

Garlia Jones never got to say goodbye to a close friend who died of a heroin overdose last year.\nJones, finishing her master’s degree in African American and African Diaspora Studies, is the writer and director of the play “Against the Grain,” which debuts at 8 p.m. today at the John Waldron Arts Center, 122 S. Walnut St.\n“When he died, the best thing for me to do was to write,” said Jones, who wrote the play for her master’s thesis production.\nThe story focuses on the life of her young friend, who had many struggles, including drug addiction.\nActors from the theater group Black Curtain, founded by Jones in 2003, make up the small cast for the production. Junior Sara Alghani, president of Black Curtain, plays the role of “Zara” – a character based on Jones.\n“This play gives insight into the life of someone who is struggling to find sanity and happiness in their chaotic life – he turns to heroin,” said Alghani, who has been rehearsing with the cast since the beginning of January.\nJones created the play’s main character, Marcus, as a combination of her friend and a close family member. Junior Stevener Gaskin said he draws from personal experience to depict Marcus’s character.\n“I had a friend freshman year who did lines,” Gaskin said. “When it comes to drugs, being explicit is a good thing; it shows the reality of drugs. This is real, dealing with inner problems and showing what causes drug use.”\nIn several scenes, Gaskin’s character graphically depicts the behavior of a drug addict who rejects the help of those around him, including his girlfriend, played by junior Anna Abrams. \n“I think everybody has empty moments when they feel no one is behind them,” Abrams said. “A lot of people are like Marcus in that way and can relate to his character.”\nThe production will include a musical performance from musician and IU freshman Becca Johnson.\n“Against the Grain” will be showing Feb. 22-25 at the John Waldron Arts Center. Tickets are $5 for students in advance and $8 at the door. Tickets are available online at www.bloomingtonarts.info. For more information, visit Black Curtain’s Web site at www.blackcurtain.org.