IU women swimmers aim for 1st Big Ten championship since 2003

Hoosiers are highest ranked team in conference

Although the IU women's swimming and diving team heads into this weekend's Big Ten championships as the highest ranked team in the Big Ten, coach Ray Looze insists they aren't making the trip to Minneapolis as the favorites.\n"The rankings are based on the dual meet system and are really just speculation," Looze said. "We finished in fourth place last year and, based on the seeds, we're picked to finish third or fourth again this year."\nThe Big Ten championships begin today and will continue through Saturday at the University Aquatic Center in Minneapolis.\nThe Hoosiers finished the season 5-0 in dual meets, besting every challenge placed before them, and many of the \nswimmers think they can do the same at the Big Ten championships. \n"We are being considered underdogs, but we all believe we can win," senior Susanna Ernst said. "I think the fact that others doubt us will give us more motivation."\nThe Hoosiers boast a favorable combination of young talent and senior leadership. Going into a big meet like the Big Tens, the underclassmen will look for support from their teammates who have been there before, Looze said.\n"Having senior leaders is always helpful, especially with so many young swimmers on our team this year," Looze said. "Our seniors are already starting to share some of their wisdom with the younger people, trying to keep them relaxed."\nJunior diver Christina Loukas remembers the nerves she experienced her freshman year and hopes she can help ease the jitters of other team members. \n"My freshman year I was pretty nervous," Loukas said. "The upperclassmen were real helpful for me. They made me feel like it was just another meet. So, hopefully I can do the same for our younger divers now." \nThe Hoosiers have been training for the Big Ten meet the entire season.\n"Our work is basically done," diving coach Jeff Huber said. "The hay is in the barn as far as training is concerned. Now we have to sit back, relax and get ready to dive well."\nIU last claimed a Big Ten title during the 2003 season. While they have finished in the top five the last three seasons, Looze believes the formula for getting over the hump is simple. \n"We just need to worry about ourselves and take care of our business," he said. "We need to stay relaxed and stress-free and focus on what we need to do to be successful"