IU diver set to represent U.S. for second year

Loukas, team prepares for Big Ten championships

On Jan. 26, IU diver Christina Loukas browsed the USA diving Web site looking for her name. Later that day, Loukas got a call from diving coach Jeff Huber confirming what she saw. \nFor the second time in three years, Loukas will represent the United States in the FINA World Championships. Loukas is one of 14 divers on the team and will compete in the 1-meter event.\n"I was really excited when I saw my name," Loukas said. "I was pretty nervous about making the team. I was a little upset I didn't make it in any other events, but I'm happy I have the chance to represent my country."\nThe FINA World Championships will be held in Melbourne, Australia, from March 18 to April 1. \nIn the 2005 world championships, Loukas finished sixth overall in the 1-meter. Although she had an impressive showing, she said that nerves got the best of her.\n"I was really tense," Loukas said. "I could really feel it in my dives."\nLoukas hopes her previous experience in the event will allow her to be more relaxed this time around. \n"I think I will enjoy it more this time," Loukas said. "I know what it's like having been there before. I want to stay focused and not hold back at all."\nLoukas has been named Big Ten Diver of the Week three times this season and hopes to translate her success this season into a good showing at the world championships. \n"My goal is to improve on my performance from last time," Loukas said. "I know I have the potential to finish in the top three, but anywhere higher than sixth place and I'll be happy."\nLoukas and the rest of the IU women's swimming and diving team will be competing in the Big Ten championships Feb. 8 to 10 in Minneapolis.\nLast year at the Big Tens, Loukas placed first in the 1-meter and second on the platform, earning Diver of the Championships. \nLoukas said that if she focuses on how she has performed all year, she could see a repeat performance this year. \n"Last year I did really well," Loukas said. "As long as I stay calm and do the dives I've been doing in practice, I should be fine." \nLoukas believes that diving in a pressure scenario like the selection camp will help her in a big meet like the Big Tens. \n"We had to go through four lists of dives and all of them were just as important as the others," Loukas said. "That really helped me be consistent on each dive. I think that will give me a lot of confidence heading into the Big Tens"