Colonization through gunfire

Shortly after the Xbox 360 launched in late 2005, Capcom released a trailer that quickly became one of the most anticipated titles for the system: "Lost Planet: Extreme Condition." There we watched as a man ripped holes into alien scum with a machine gun only before hopping into a giant mech equipped with Gatling guns and rocket launchers. Yeah, it was pretty sweet. \nMuch like the highly praised "Gears of War," "Lost Planet" is one of the killer apps that is reason alone to buy the Xbox 360 (in addition to the three Tom Clancy-inspired titles previously released last year). You play as Wayne, a man who lost his father to a mysterious alien monstrosity known as the "Green Eye." He awakens from a coma shortly after to find fellow colonizers of the planet E.D.N. III, an arctic wasteland inhabited by the alien race dubbed the Akrid, and snow pirates who attack fellow colonies for supplies and territorial rights. Wayne's job? Clean up this mess and avenge his father's death. \nEssentially the game makes it seem like they combined "Starship Troopers" with "The Thing" and allow you to do your best at handling the situation. Wayne has a wide assortment of weaponry, ranging from the standard machine gun to heavy-duty rocket launchers and energy rifles. He also utilizes a baller grappling hook much like "Bionic Commando," allowing you to scale buildings and swing high above the Akrid swarms. Then, of course, there are the various mechanical Vital Suits allowing for serious firepower and extermination of alien and humanoid resistance alike. \nThe action is standard run-n-gun gameplay, which honestly isn't anything "new" per say, but the game is so overly addictive and fast-paced that you want to keep playing. It's a lot like Capcom's other actioner "Devil May Cry," except you won't be beating "Lost Planet" in under five hours. Try more like 10-20. \nIt doesn't just stop with the regular story mode. Like practically every 360 title, "Lost Planet" features online support in the form of various missions where you team up with folks across the globe to take down snow pirates by whatever means necessary. \nGraphically, some folks might find things looking a bit repetitive, with the constant snowy landscapes and torn-apart structures within colonies. But aside from the scenery, enemies are well-designed (especially the massive Undeep worm found in Stage 3), and the game never slows down to process all the explosions and movement on the screen. Granted "Lost Planet" isn't pushing the 360's capabilities like "Gears of War" does, it still looks incredible. \nIn the end, the yearlong wait for Capcom's latest achievement was well worth it. "Lost Planet" is a game that is entertaining, rewarding and has energetic gameplay for the next-gen console. Now I can't wait to see what they do with "Resident Evil 5"