'Team chemistry' leads Hoosiers to weekend win

No. 13 Hoosiers swim past Notre Dame, Michigan

IU swimming coach Ray Looze has been coaching long enough to know that it doesn't always take the most talented team to get the best results. He points to the unity and chemistry of this year's women's swimming and diving squad as the key to its undefeated start. \n"Chemistry has to be a separating factor," Looze said. "Even if you don't have the most talent on paper, if you're victorious, nine times out of 10 you're the tighter and more unified team." \nThis weekend in Ann Arbor, Mich., IU's team chemistry was on display again as they topped two ranked opponents to win the Michigan Invitational. The No. 13 Hoosiers finished the two-day meet with 1,460.5 points. No. 19 Notre Dame finished second with 1,074 points, No. 10 Michigan was third with 1,052.5 points and Illinois finished fourth with 417 points. \nSophomore Sarah Stockwell continued her dominance in the breaststroke events, winning the 100- and 200-yard events. Senior Leila Vaziri won the 100-yard backstroke, with freshman Presley Bard finishing in second. Bard and Vaziri switched places in the 200-yard backstroke, with Bard taking first and Vaziri tying for second. \nIU picked up additional wins from sophomore Allison Kay in the 400-yard individual medley and the 800-yard freestyle relay team of Vaziri, Kay, senior Clarissa Wentworth and freshman Emily Lanteigne.\n"Our girls were anxious to compete after the long layoff," Looze said. "I was surprised at how many of the girls swam well. I'd say 98-99 percent of the girls had good performances." \nThe Hoosiers competed strongly in the diving, even without their top diver, junior Christina Loukas. Freshman Brittney Feldman and senior Lindsay Weigle finished second and third in the 1-meter. Weigle finished first and senior Heather Chapman second in the platform, which counted as an exhibition event. \n"We're a very deep team and it shows," assistant diving coach Todd Waikel said. "We knew all along, that even without our top diver, we're one of the best diving squads in the country. All the girls did a great job and I was very pleased with the performance."\nWhile IU has cruised to an unblemished start, Looze knows there will be roadblocks along the way, but he also knows this team will face them together. \n"This women's team is really tight," Looze said. "This was another step in our quest to win the Big Ten. We know that there will still be adversity along the way. We don't know when or where it will take place, but we have a much better chance to overcome it as a team"