RecSports gears up for intramural basketball season

It's that time of year again. The time when thousands of students go head-to-head on the basketball court in the Assembly Hall spotlight to have their biggest fans cheer them on. \nIt's not quite March Madness, and the players aren't Kelvin Sampson's crew, but much of the excitement is still there and, for some, there's still a lot on the line. It's intramural basketball season. \nThe IU intramural basketball program, the nation's largest collegiate intramural basketball program, starts Friday at Wildermuth Gymnasium. At the end of January, the IU Division of Recreational Sports will be hosting a regional conference with attendees from several surrounding states where they will discuss the popularity and success of the program at IU. \n"People can't believe that we attract this many participants" said Eric Kammeyer, a graduate assistant for RecSports. "They want to know how we do it."\nBasketball is the most popular intramural sport offered at IU, with 440 to 450 teams in the program this year. \nBesides the thousands of competitors, more than 100 officials will be in charge of regulating the games. The officials were required to take two weeks of training and to officiate two practice games in preparation for season tipoff. \nBecause of the immense popularity, the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation building tends to be crowded during the three-week span of the intramural season, which officially begins Jan. 19. \n"Nearly 30 percent of facility visits take place in January and February," said Chris Geary, director of research for RecSports. "We typically have over 400 teams playing intramural basketball at the HPER Building in January and February. That level of student involvement in intramural sports definitely has an impact on facility usage." \nThe teams are categorized into 12 divisions by sex, fraternity/sorority teams and undergraduate/graduate programs. All championship games are played at Assembly Hall. The male, female and coed teams are also divided up into two or three divisions, based on the level of competitiveness. \nBut not all athletes are out on a quest for basketball immortality. \n"We try to publicize that it isn't as competitive as you think," Kammeyer said. "Anyone can come out and play. You don't have to be good to enjoy playing." \nThe intramural program also offers a 3-point shootout. Last year, more than 100 people participated, with the top eight males and six females shooting it out during the half time of the championship game at Assembly Hall. The shootout is a way to get participants involved even if they aren't on teams, Kammeyer said. Registration for the 3-point shootout takes place Jan. 24. \nEight out of the 10 courts in Wildermuth are used for intramural play, which can aggravate many noncompetitors wishing to play basketball. But it is still the most efficient way to conduct such a tournament, Kammeyer said. \nEven with some drawbacks, RecSports officials believe Wildermuth provides the perfect atmosphere.\n"It's not the most fan-friendly environment," said Kammeyer, "But that is the atmosphere everyone likes because it's packed and exciting." \nGames begin Friday at the HPER Building, and the championship games and 3-point shootout are March 4 and 5 at Assembly Hall.