Women's recruitment to feature looser rules

More than 1,700 potential members to tour sororities

Pedestrians beware: Third Street and the Jordan Extension might be a little crowded this weekend.\nWhen freshman Stefanie Bassler throws on her recruitment t-shirt Saturday morning, she will join more than 1,700 identically clad women searching for a second home on campus during the first round of women's recruitment. For Bassler and the rest of the potential members, finding the perfect house this winter might be a little easier than in years past.\nThis year, the Panhellenic Association repealed a number of old rules, including those outlawing discussion of men and alcohol during recruitment. \nThe changes come as a relief to Bassler. \n"You basically only have half an hour with each house, and maybe seven minutes with each girl," Bassler said. "In that seven minutes you should be able to talk to the girls to find out what it is all about."\nThe Panhellenic Association hopes repealing these rules, which also include a ban on touching potential members, will make the experience more relaxed, Panhellenic Association President Brittany Cohen said. \n"Whatever your conversation is about, everything is going to be more laid back," Cohen said. "People are not going to be fined for little things, and we aren't looking to get people in trouble. We are looking for everyone to have fun." \nBassler signed up for recruitment in hopes of finding a chapter that suits her personality, she said. \n"When I got to IU I was so overwhelmed because it was such a big school," Bassler said. "But maybe if I find the perfect house that is a perfect fit for me, the school will seem just a bit smaller."\nSaturday will mark phase one of Bassler's search: 19 party. From 11 a.m. until 9 p.m. Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday, groups of about 80 to 90 women will visit every sorority house for about 30 minutes. Potential members will listen to cheers and meet members of the chapters.\nAfter 19 party, members will rank the houses based on preference and will return for First Invite Jan. 4, the first of three more rounds before bids are given.\nJust more than 50 percent will ultimately join a house, Cohen said. Some will drop out of recruitment, while others will be cut because they do not meet the grade requirement, which has also changed, she said. This year each house will set its own Grade Point Average standards instead of following a flat requirement set by Panhellenic Association.\nA few hundred more women have signed up for recruitment this year compared to last, Cohen said. Though she cannot pinpoint an exact reason for this year's increase, she said she believes the benefits of greek life draw women to the process.\n"I think it's just that the greek community is so well established on campus and we do offer great philanthropy organizations," Cohen said. "People want to see what it is all about." \nThe increased numbers might present a challenge for houses because they might be forced to "double rush" potential members, which means one member will talk to two potential members at a time. However, Cohen said she is confident the houses will not have a problem.\n"It is pretty much the same process even with more people," said Leah Miller, recruitment chair for Sigma Delta Tau. "But the biggest challenge is just making room for our 100-plus members and 90 potential new members. We've had to get more furniture so everyone can sit down."\nDespite the numbers of potential members going through recruitment, Bassler is confident that of the 19 houses, she will find one that suits her personality. Heather Kornick, 19 party chair for Alpha Delta Pi suggests that to do this, Bassler and other potential members should ignore what others say about houses and focus on what they experience themselves. \n"Keep an open mind and go with what you feel and not what others think," Kornick said. "Your best friend might love a house, but you might not care for it at all. Just because somebody doesn't like a house doesn't mean it isn't okay for you to like it"