Not a big deal

I can't distinguish a Coach bag from a look-alike one from Target.\nI drive a 2000 Chevy Metro -- an upgrade, in fact, from my original '90 Ford Taurus -- full of rust and dog hair.\nI would rather dine on a hamburger from Wendy's than caviar, brie or a $30 quiche (What is quiche?). \nBy majority U.S. standards, my life is extraordinarily mediocre, though I do effectually incorporate oxymorons into missives I write, and I can make a mean origami armadillo. \nNo, I've never been outstandingly talented, beautiful or, really, remarkable in any way. But I'm not looking for a pity party (unless I get free wine). Instead, I would argue that, in fact, none of us are remarkable, even if you are accustomed to filet mignon more than Taco Bell (more like "Taco Heaven!") or graduated high school at age 15.\nThe thing is that our existence, in consideration with the bigger picture, is mostly insignificant. Humans, in universal history, account for only a miniscule part. What we do individually in our lives will probably have little impact on the course of world events.\nNone of us, even San Diegan news anchors, are "kind of a big deal" (and for God's sake, friends, it is time to initiate an exclusion of that phrase from your daily vocabulary).\nBut please, no suicidal thoughts yet. I'm really a very optimistic person!\nWhat I'm getting at by pointing out these pessimistic ideas is that, because our lives are short and necessarily unexceptional, we must live in a way that is meaningful in relation to the lives of others. We are all we have.\nMost of you readers are IU students, and, if only because of that, you are privileged. Hence, the privileged (and the talented) are responsible for contributing to society in some way.\nWe must teach. Donate. Volunteer. Give. Love.\nLast February, the Pew Research Center conducted interviews with more than 3,000 Americans that essentially proved money does buy happiness. Nearly half of the respondents with an income of more than $100,000 said they were "very happy" in general, while only 24 percent of those with an income of less than $30,000 said they were. \nDuh. Money buys things that feed our hunger, fulfill our desires and enhance our vanity and self-esteem.\nStill, money doesn't buy curiosity or character.\nWe must build those things ourselves, and, to do that, we must live our lives with a humble but ambitious and hopeful perspective.\nTo consider the "bigger picture" -- the real magnitude of your existence -- is really what I'm promoting here.\nIt's easy to think we're God-like here in the IU bubble, strolling around campus with our iPods and knowledge, with all the campus's resources and opportunities at our fingertips.\nBut please remember, you're unique just like everyone else.\nWe must care about ourselves, but we must care about others (and eat delicious hamburgers) to live effectively.