Murder defendant tells media he wants a different lawyer

Suspect says dismissal requests were denied

TERRE HAUTE -- A murder defendant handed out a statement to media members in the courtroom that said he was dissatisfied with his attorney's handling of the case and wanted someone else to represent him.\nKevin Hampton, 43, of Terre Haute is on trial in Vigo Superior Court for the May 19, 2000, slaying of 18-year-old Dianna Lehman. He is also charged with rape and criminal deviate conduct.\nHe said in the statement Wednesday that he had asked for a change of venue because of the publicity of the case in Vigo County, but his attorney, Dan Weber, would not request the move. Hampton also said he has tried to have Weber dismissed for ineffective assistance of counsel, but his requests have been denied.\nThe court shows no record of any motions filed. Weber would not comment on his client's statement.\nIn the statement, Hampton wrote, "We are not going to talk about in court things that I no (sic) can help my case like where I was living at the time all this took place, where I was that day, the people that was at the house next door the night all this took place."\nHampton also is charged with the 2004 murders of Tanette Dickison, 18, and Cassie Harris, 48, of Terre Haute. His trial in those deaths is scheduled for Jan. 22.\nA document filed with the court Wednesday morning from Weber states the defense "intends to call no witnesses" other than those listed by the prosecution.\nHowever, Hampton wrote in the statement, "(Weber) is telling me not to take the stan (sic) and I was feeling it was the best thing to do."\nWhen Weber learned Hampton handed out the statement, he warned him not to talk to the media.\n"I'm about to go crazy sitting here," Hampton replied. "(Weber's) not asking the right questions. It's easier to speak now than try to win on appeal."\nHampton is accused of raping and strangling Lehman in her bedroom. The prosecution's case is based largely on DNA evidence yet to be presented.\nWeber said in opening statements that five to 20 people could have had a motive to kill Lehman and directed his questions Wednesday to Lehman's estranged boyfriend, Bradley Akers, the father of her now-8-year-old son.\nAkers, 25, and Lehman had been living together, but Akers said he moved out about a week before her murder because she "was partying all the time, leaving me at the house with the baby and no diapers, no formula."\nAkers told the jury he went back to the house two days before Lehman was killed to retrieve his son's clothing. He entered through an already-damaged window because he did not have a key, he said. For spite, he took the battery out of a cordless phone in the living room.\nAkers admitted during testimony that initially he lied to investigators about entering the home through the window and about taking the battery. He said he was scared because he knew he was probably a suspect in the murder.