Microsoft to release new operating system in 2007

Microsoft is scheduled to release an entirely new operating system in early 2007. Windows Vista, the successor to Windows XP, has better functionality in multimedia, communication, and security, according to the University Information Technology Services's online Knowledge Base.\n"The most obvious improvement is the look and feel," said UITS Vice President Mark Lynch. "It's much more three-dimensional -- more like Apple OS X than older versions of Windows -- and has new handy tools such as gadgets and search."\nSome features included in Vista are an improved start menu with Instant Search; document explorers to help with the organization of files; Windows Aero, to provide clarity and an improved visual sophistication, such as see-through glass-interface elements; and live Taskbar thumbnails to show the content of a window, according to the Microsoft Web site.\nIU computers will have the new operating system for students to use and departments will get the program as well. If students with their own computers want to buy Vista, it must be bought at a bookstore. Students will get their own key number to register and install Vista onto their computer. Microsoft Windows Vista requires a DVD drive for installation and more video resources than older versions of Windows demanded. \nTwo new features, Windows Flip and Windows Flip 3D, manage windows by flipping through open windows and providing a live thumbnail for each one. There are also more features added for music and movies in the Media Center, Lynch said. \nInformation stored on a Windows Vista machine is more secure than on the old operating system, Lynch said.\n"Files are encrypted. The user is no longer the administrator by default, so compromising the system is harder," Lynch said in an e-mail interview. "The system prompts you when something requests administration privileges on your computer -- instead of doing things invisibly in the background." \nAlso Microsoft says its new User Account Control protects computers from viruses, worms, spyware and other unwanted software. \nMicrosoft's system requirements for Vista are called Vista Capable and Vista Premium Ready. Vista Capable computers will run Vista but may have limitations in the functionality of the new features, while Vista Premium Ready will have full access to the new features of Vista, including Windows Aero's advanced graphical interface, according to the UITS Knowledge Base.\nCraig Frawley, a sophomore, thinks having to buy the software isn't worth the risk. "I think it will help with all the problems regular XP has," Frawley said. "As a student, I don't see a reason to upgrade because of the price, and it's almost the same as XP."\nSophomore Kara Guest does not have a problem with it as long as it works similarly. \n"I wouldn't mind it," she said, "as long as it doesn't hurt getting our information at home as we would get it on campus"