IMU director takes position at University of Michigan

Rullman to depart after more than 2 years at IU

Loren Rullman came to IU more than two years ago after being named director of the Indiana Memorial Union and IU Auditorium. Returning to his alma mater fulfilled a lifelong dream for Rullman, who met his wife in the IMU as a student.\nNow Rullman will again say goodbye to IU as he departs his position after being named the next associate vice president for student affairs at the University of Michigan.\n"Coming to IU was the fulfillment of a life-long dream to serve in a place that's been important to my family," Rullman said. "What I've decided is that my aspirations to make institutional-level contributions can best be fulfilled at Michigan."\nRullman came to IU in 2004 after working at Michigan and Southeast Missouri State University. He took over as director of the IMU, replacing Winston Shindell, who retired after 23 years in the position. \nDean of Students Richard McKaig said Rullman was a good colleague who worked to involve people in IMU administration. He said Rullman was reliable and helpful during his time with the University. \n"He did an excellent job of involving folks in the operations of the Union," he said. "I think he kind of had a sense of vision for the Union. (He was) very easy to work with in the sense that he always got things done that he said he would get done."\nRullman said his time at IU has been satisfying, and he has enjoyed serving the University where he spent his undergraduate years.\n"(IU) has been wonderful," Rullman said. "The time that I've been here has been \nwonderful."\nRullman said he was particularly proud of several things the IMU administration has accomplished during his tenure. \nHe said several renovations throughout the IMU and IU Auditorium, the opening of the IMU Starbucks and expansion of "food service and master planning" all made him proud. He called the changes "important ways that we make the Union a more attractive place to be." \n"I'm really proud of some of the things that we've done together," Rullman said. "We've made, I think, some special investments."\nRullman said he believed more expansion could certainly help the IMU, especially in hospitality areas that bring funds to the Union. \n"I really don't regret much," Rullman said, when asked if there was anything he would have done differently in his time at IU. \nRullman encouraged the University to continue involving students in decision-making processes. \n"That (student involvement) makes IU distinctive historically, and that's important not to lose," he said. "I would say that if I come back in a couple of years, what I would hope to find is really good decision-making involving faculty, staff and the students."\nMcKaig said Rullman has been a leader in supporting student involvement.\n"I think (student involvement) is definitely something he's fostered," McKaig said. "Loren bought into it and did everything he could to try and continue that tradition and even expand that tradition."\nSenior and Union Board President Bradley Allen said Rullman has been very helpful to students during his tenure, and he is sad to see the director leave.\n"Loren's been very beneficial to the students at the Union, and we wish him the best of luck at Michigan," Allen said. "I'm sorry to hear he is gone, but I understand people's lives change and things progress."\nRullman said he was sad to leave IU but is looking forward to taking on his new responsibilities in Ann Arbor.\n"When you're director of a department, you have more frequent, maybe more direct connection to the elements (of a university)," Rullman said. "I'm looking forward to that challenge." \nMcKaig said he would be happy to see Rullman return to his former school someday. \n"I think (Rullman returning someday) would be wonderful," McKaig said. "He's certainly a talented individual, and I think it would be wonderful to have him back here."\nRullman did not rule out returning to IU some time in the future, pointing out that he never imagined he would come back here to begin with.\n"I dreamed of coming back, and I assumed it would never happen (a first time)," Rullman said. "You never say never"