Legendary announcer, IU graduate Enberg to speak tonight in Ernie Pyle Hall

Legendary sports broadcaster and IU graduate Dick Enberg will participate in a panel discussion at 7 p.m. tonight in the School of Journalism Auditorium.\nThe School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation is sponsoring the panel, titled "A Conversation with Dick Enberg," in honor of its 60th anniversary. The discussion will allow students to hear Enberg's answers to a variety of questions. The questions will be posed by HPER faculty members, HPER Dean David Gallahue and retired local sportswriter Bob Hammel, said Debra Kent, the panel's moderator and HPER director of communications and marketing. Audience members will also be allowed to ask Enberg questions during a special "Q and A" period, Kent said. Enberg will make a brief appearance at a reception \nfollowing the discussion.\nThe School of HPER wanted to bring Enberg to speak because of his broadcasting success and IU roots, Gallahue said. He said students will have the opportunity to see someone who was once in their place and how successful they could become.\n"We have several sports communication majors, and they're going to have the opportunity to rub shoulders with and speak to one of the most renowned broadcasters today," he said. "(Enberg)'s quite a good speaker. He's a professional and a nice guy, too."\nSince calling IU football games while earning his master's and Ph.D. at IU, the CBS commentator has won 14 Emmys and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He has called events for all sports, including NFL football, NBA basketball and professional baseball, golf and tennis, according to CBS' Web site. In his 50-year career, Enberg has called nine Super Bowls, the U.S. Open championships for both golf and tennis, Wimbledon, National and American League baseball playoffs and the Olympics, among other prestigious sports events, according to the site.\nDespite Enberg's fame, Kent said the School of HPER is trying to make the discussion as intimate as possible. To do this, the school rented a couch, loveseat and lamps and bought fresh flowers to make the front of the auditorium look like a living room, Kent said.\n"We wanted the environment to be comfortable," she said.\nGallahue and Kent both said the school was thrilled Enberg could take time from his schedule to speak as part of its 60th anniversary festivities, which will continue throughout year. Enberg will also be inducted into the IU Athletics Hall of Fame during his visit to campus and is in Indiana to call this weekend's Indianapolis Colts game, Gallahue said.\n"He's one of our most acclaimed alumni," Kent said. "This school has had a very long relationship with him ... and we are very excited to have him"