Indiana senators support IU's WIUX

Bayh and Lugar write letter to save station's frequency

Indiana Sens. Evan Bayh and Richard Lugar added their voices to the fight to keep WIUX on FM radio. On Friday, the two submitted a joint letter to the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission supporting IU's petition to keep WIUX on its current frequency, 100.3 FM.\nLast week, WIUX announced that WYGB, a country station broadcast out of Columbus, Ind., will be taking over the frequency it moved to in January. When contacted last week, WYGB station manager Mike King said he was unaware the station would be kicking WIUX off its FM frequency but said the company that owns the station was trying to double WYGB's broadcast range.\nThe letter to FCC Chairman Kevin J. Martin stated that the station is a golden example of the success of Low Power FM radio stations, which were set up to give noncommercial radio outlets room on the airwaves. The document used the fact that the station was entirely student-run as evidence.\n"We commend the Federal Communications Commission for its ongoing efforts to encourage the creation of Low Power FM stations like WIUX-LP, and ask that the merits of Indiana University's petition be given full and fair consideration," the letter stated.\nBayh said he hoped the FCC would take into account WIUX's history and value to the IU campus, as well as Bloomington.\n"Stations like WIUX play a vital role in ensuring that a diverse array of music and programs remain available to enhance the knowledge and inspire the imagination of Hoosiers across Indiana," Bayh said in an e-mail statement to the Indiana Daily Student. "WIUX has played an important role in the University's history, and I have urged the commissioners to \nremember the benefits WIUX-LP provides to the Indiana University community as they consider this important matter."\nWIUX Station Manager Zach Pollakoff said he was thrilled when he heard Lugar and Bayh had sent the letter.\n"We really appreciate that it's gotten support from such ... a high level," Pollakoff said. "I think it will require that sort of congressional push to effect a change, really, in the situation."\nWIUX Business Operations Manager Dan Goshorn said Secretly Canadian Records, an independent label in Bloomington, contacted the senators.\nGoshorn said it was good to see the senators getting involved in the issue because he believes public support will likely be WIUX's biggest weapon.\n"I think it's great that they're taking notice and trying to help us out," Goshorn said. "We don't have much of a legal argument."\nGoshorn added that the station wanted this case to set a precedent protecting Low Power stations in the future. He said WIUX had an advantage in its large support base but said he believes other stations who do not enjoy that support could struggle against the rule, which he said he believes is unconstitutional.\n"I think it's definitely just as much about setting precedent," Goshorn said. "There has to be a limit to when the FCC can just restrict speech. ... I really feel strongly that this is unconstitutional. It'll turn a lot more heads I think, if we can get that message out."\nPollakoff said the support from the community was greatly appreciated. He said the station has been working with several different people and organizations, including the Office of the Provost and IU Student Association, and a Facebook group has been created in support of the petition.\nHowever, Pollakoff said he believes an organized response will be needed to swing the FCC's decision in WIUX's favor.\n"We have a lot of verbal support," Pollakoff said. "We need something more than just a letter to send, I think, for the community to respond"