Inaugural Bucket 100 praised as success

IU, Purdue cyclists raise more than $1,000 for charity

The thermometer read 34 degrees Friday morning, but that wasn't enough to stop about 30 riders representing IU and Purdue from gathering at the Memorial Stadium parking lot and setting off on a two-day, 122-mile bike trip from Bloomington to West Lafayette.\nThe inaugural Bucket 100 Bike Tour benefited Habitat for Humanity both at IU and West Lafayette. All entry fees and donations went to Habitat for Humanity, with each organization responsible for its own publicity and fundraising.\nDavid Doyle, president of IU's chapter of Habitat for Humanity, said he thinks IU raised more than $1,000 for its cause but said the group won't know the final figure until after Thanksgiving.\nIU's Dean of Students Richard McKaig gave the group words of encouragement before the riders left Bloomington. He said he was honored to be invited to speak at the event because of the importance of its benefit.\n"The students were kind enough to invite me to come out," McKaig said. "Habitat for Humanity, I think, is a great cause, and the two schools getting together to work for Habitat for Humanity is an even greater idea, so I was happy to be here to send them off."\nThe idea originated with Doug Taylor, director of the Lafayette Habitat for Humanity, who contacted Doyle and began planning in September, said senior Jennifer Talbott, a student volunteer.\n"It was a lot (of planning) since this is our first year that we've ever done this," Talbott said. "It was a lot of coordination, especially with Purdue."\nTalbott said the two groups held weekly conference calls during their planning and held several meetings independently and with Purdue as everything came together. \nIU volunteers said they were happy to put in the time, especially after getting high first-year involvement. Megan Ischay, the IU chapter's event publicity director, said she was "very enthusiastic" about the turnout.\n"Since it was our first year, (the turnout) was pretty good because it was not a known event, really," Ischay said.\nDoyle said he was pleased with the turnout, especially with the walk-in pre-registration the night before. He said IU had 10 people sign up Thursday night for the Friday ride.\nHe said both Purdue and IU signed up between 15 and 17 people each, which exceeded his expectations.\n"I'm actually pretty pleased," Doyle said. "An event that I assumed was going to be maybe six or seven people has turned into about 25 or 30 people, so I couldn't be happier."\nMcKaig said he thought it was important for both IU and Purdue to work together because of their overall significance to the state.\n"We are the major universities in the state of Indiana," McKaig said. "I think it's a great partnership ... It makes for a great combination to serve the citizens of Indiana."\nDoyle said he was happy with the fundraising effort.\n"The donation fees were a lot higher than we thought they were going to be," Doyle said. "For a first-year event, anything raised is, in my mind, a successful fundraiser."\nMcKaig said he thought the Bucket 100 could become a popular campus event.\n"It could be a neat tradition," McKaig said. "The challenge between the two schools in sports is a great history, and maybe this can be a way to say 'We certainly challenge each other, but we also support great causes.'"\nDoyle said involvement and fundraising accomplishments hardened his resolve to hold the Bucket 100 again next year, with the goal of making it an annual event.\n"I'm adamant and determined that we're going to have it next year," Doyle said. "... With the Little 500 and the IU Cycling Team and Purdue's cycling club, I think this could probably turn into a huge fundraiser in the next two or three years"