Dems force out 3 Indiana GOP congressmen

Democrats ousted Republican incumbents Tuesday in Indiana's 2nd, 7th and 8th Congressional Districts, giving the party three of the 15 seats it needed to take control of the U.S. House of Representatives.\nThe races for the 2nd and the 8th Districts were two of three congressional races in Indiana that were closely watched nationwide. The third race -- that for the 9th District -- ended in victory for Democrat Baron Hill over Republican Rep. Mike Sodrel.

Ellsworth gives Democrats win in 8th \nDistrict

Democratic challenger Brad Ellsworth defeated Republican Rep. John Hostettler in southern Indiana's 8th District. Ellsworth, the Vanderburgh County sheriff, had 62 percent of the votes with 56 percent of precincts reporting. Hostettler, a staunch conservative seeking a seventh term, had 37 percent.

Democratic challenger Donnelly takes Indiana's 2nd District

Democrat Joe Donnelly defeated Rep. Chris Chocola in northern Indiana's 2nd District with 52 percent of the vote, compared with 47 percent for Chocola. These results were reported with 83 percent of precincts tallied, according to unofficial results tabulated by The Associated Press.

Carson defeats GOP \nchallenger\nDemocratic incumbent for the 7th District Julia Carson beat GOP challenger Eric Dickerson with 53 percent compared to Dickerson's 47 percent. The 7th District includes Indianapolis and encompasses most of Marion County.