Student groups to paint, 'vandalize' the town crimson

Event allows 'legalized graffiti' around city

It is not often that IU advocates vandalizing local businesses and residence halls. For one week every year, though, the University actually encourages it.\nHomecoming week gives student organizations the chance to create legalized graffiti on the business storefronts surrounding campus. The window-painting competition is one of four artistic campaigns organized by the Student Alumni Association for homecoming events. The tradition is a semi-permanent visual representation of how school spirit translates for many students. \nIt's also a prominent way for student clubs to connect with harder-to-reach audiences. The IU Dance Marathon promotions committee is using the homecoming events as a tool to help IUDM achieve some of its own objectives.\n"One of our biggest goals is to have everyone on campus at least to have heard of Dance Marathon," said junior Molly Giles, director of IUDM promotions. "We are trying to reach out in different ways to freshmen, nongreeks and alumni who come in for homecoming."\nAlumni play an influential role in another club's window entry. The IU Student Foundation wants to recognize important past alumni with its window design. IUSF Alumni Affairs Committee chair and senior Megan Parmenter said that while IUSF participates in homecoming events to show support for the Hoosiers, the group's involvement is mutually beneficial. \n"Fourteen thousand alumni make up a strong presence at homecoming," Parmenter said. "We want not only students but the community to know about IUSF." \nCompetitors must incorporate this year's homecoming theme, "Glory Days," into their window designs. Returning for the third year as a judge, J.D. Denny said creativity is an essential element for serious competitors.\n"I wonder if some (windows) will have Bruce Springsteen on them. Maybe some will use a retro style. It's a pretty wide open theme," said Denny, who is also managing editor of the Indiana Alumni Magazine. "We see a lot of creativity. There are enough people who put in the effort that everything looks really good." \nIUDM is using the theme to reflect its own glory days at IU. As it is IUDM's 16th year, Giles said she wants the design to celebrate IUDM's "sweet 16," along with the overall IU spirit.\nWindow-painting has the distinction of bridging high-profile community establishments to a University tradition. \nKirkwood staple Nick's English Hut is a popular spot for alumni returning for homecoming weekend. Gregg "Rags" Rago, one of the bar's managing partners, said the building has had its window painted for at least 20 homecoming weekends because the managers try to participate in anything IU-oriented.\n"I love coach Hep, and I love the Hoosiers," Rago said about his expectations for the Nick's window. "But being IU football, we don't have many glory days to show off"