Sampson silent on Gordon

Ask Kelvin Sampson how IU's first few weeks of practice have gone, and he'll talk at length about his team still adjusting to him and his coaching style. The first-year coach will expound upon how even though point guard Earl Calloway is a senior, he's really just a freshman in Sampson's new system. But mention the words "recruiting," "Bruce Weber," "Illinois" or (gulp) "Eric Gordon," and Sampson's demeanor changes. His answers are short and cold. He'll ask you to ask the question again, though he likely understood you and your intentions the first time. Then he'll say he can't comment about it.\nWhich, in essence, is true. \nBylaw 13.10.2 of the NCAA Division I Manual -- aptly titled "Comments Before Signing" -- says a school can't comment publicly about a recruit's skills or what he could add to the team before the recruit signs a national letter of intent. An institution can only confirm "its recruitment of the prospect" and may not comment in any manner "as to the likelihood of the prospect's signing with that institution." \nSo Sampson can't spew his thoughts about Gordon's explosive game or how he'll fit in next year until Gordon signs with IU during the fall window of Nov. 8-15, which the North Central High School star is expected to do.\nHowever, Sampson can talk about whether or not he's chatted with Illinois coach Bruce Weber recently, what he thinks about the perceived fervor the situation has created or his reactions to what some other coaches in the Big Ten and fans see as unethical. He can speak in generalities about his recruiting philosophies. He can chat about his ideology on verbal commitments. \nHe's chosen not to. He's deflected those types of questions, throwing them in the "I can't talk about that stuff" pile. Which, again, is his prerogative. If he doesn't want to talk about Illinois, he certainly doesn't have to -- even though it appears he certainly can.\nPerhaps if Gordon signs with IU during the November signing period, Sampson will finally open up and explain his rationale. He'll tell us it was a unique situation and he didn't think he was in the wrong. This is a man, after all, who said during his introductory press conference March 29 that the first thing he was going to try to do was get the best players in Indiana to come to IU.\nHe's certainly followed through on that promise with Gordon. \nThe longer Sampson holds out, the more Weber, who has been rather open and forthcoming about the situation, looks like the good guy.\nAt this point, Weber has nothing to lose by speaking so candidly about the situation, and Sampson has nothing to gain. Gordon is no longer Weber's recruit. He's Kelvin Sampson's. \nWhen asked whether Sampson had given him a phone call when the Gordons first entertained the idea of committing to IU, Weber indicated that he never received one -- a supposed ethical no-no among coaches. Purdue coach Matt Painter and revered Michigan State coach Tom Izzo said a coach-to-coach call is standard operating procedure.\n"Obviously some of the controversy would have not happened (if Sampson had called)," Weber said. "That would have been a better situation."\nThe Big Ten's sharks seem to be circling around coach Sampson. Maybe it's time to open the lines of communication.