Kinsey photos 'up for adoption'

This week, the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction will host a two-day "Adopt a Work of Art" event to fund the framing of infrequently seen artwork. \nThe art collection at the Kinsey Institute contains thousands of donated works, many of which are rarely seen because there is not enough money to frame them, according to the Kinsey Web site. Five years ago, employees at the Kinsey Institute came up with the idea to organize an event where they could display these unframed pieces and put them up for adoption, said curator Catherine Johnson-Roehr. The event provides patrons the chance to "adopt" the works by giving a tax-deductible donation to cover the cost of framing so the pieces can be exhibited. \n"It's like 'Adopt-a-Road,'" Johnson-Roehr said. "You don't get to bring the road home with you, but you contribute to its funding."\nThe pieces up for adoption this month are all photographs that will be in the exhibition "Expressive Bodies: Contemporary Art Photography" from the Kinsey Institute, which will be in the IU School of Fine Arts gallery Jan. 9-27. Donors will be attributed to their adopted piece by a permanent label next to their chosen photograph.\n"People who attend 'Adopt a Work of Art' will not get to see every piece that is going to be in the 'Expressive Bodies' show because some pieces have already been adopted," said Johnson-Roehr. "However, they will get the chance to see the pieces that won't make it into the show." \n"Adopt a Work of Art" will take place in the conference room at the Kinsey Institute, located in Morrison Hall, room 313, and will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday.\n"The event this Thursday and Friday is a little more elaborate than the 'Adopt a Work of Art' events in the past because the adoption is paired with the Kinsey Institute Library's book sale and open gallery hours at the Kinsey Institute Gallery," assistant curator Gary Milius said in an e-mail.\nMilus said visitors will also have the opportunity to visit a book sale, view the art exhibit "Sex Objects" and preview a collection of contemporary photographs. \nJohnson-Roehr said if people cannot attend "Adopt a Work of Art," alternate times to view the pieces can be arranged by calling or e-mailing the Kinsey Institute. Some pieces will also be available to adopt online at the Kinsey Institute's Web site.\n"The pieces are images of both men and women with a nice mix of both couples and single male and female figures," Johnson-Roehr said. "We have quite a collection. There is something for everyone"